Roosters,roosters,roosters....What am I going to do with the three?

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
This spring I accidently got two cockerals.

I already had a rooster.He is about 6 years,and it's not his first rodeo with other roosters.

Back when we had restarted our flock with him and a few other pullets,on went broody.She hatched about 4 chicks none made it.The two that did make it for up until about 6 months were a pullet and a cockeral.Once the cockeral reached his mating age,his father the rooster got bulked up.He was stopping at nothing to kill his own son.He adventually banished his son into one part of the yard,and when his father was ready to go to that part,he must vanish quickly.Oh and also,his father had spurred his eye out.Finally I just left the poor guy forgetting about what would happen if he was put in the pen,and well I had left him the pen locked up.I went outside and I had found his son,in tater and mud with a broken neck and both eyes swelled up,and were bleeding.I knew what had happen.His father had took him out.I was forced to shoot his son.He knew that was his blood,but he still could not let him on his territory,because before this brutal death,his son did step and began fighting his father,realizing that was his only choice or get kicked out of his territory.So,his father was pushed with that one choice,and he killed him.I am stuck right back with two cockerals,and one rooster.

These guys are big,but would never dare challenge the lead rooster.But lead guy still attacks them.And I'm afraid he will kill them.He is at the point where since the roos will not stop mating,and fight the hens,he is chasing them off.Now we must leave them out of the pen,unless they are free ranging.they know lead roo is more perhaps to win a fight,becuase of his spurs.

I would hate for to have to give anyone away.

It wouldn't matter one bit to a rooster if another bird is his son or not. The other bird is still a threat to his alpha status.

You need to either....

get rid of your alpha and see if your young guys live together in peace

get rid of your young roosters

confine your young roosters to a bachelor pad where the alpha can't get to them

I'm not sure there's another option.

I would hate for to have to give anyone away.
Sometimes you just can't keep multiple males together or free ranging....or you have to keep them separated.

It wouldn't matter one bit to a rooster if another bird is his son or not. The other bird is still a threat to his alpha status.

You need to either....

get rid of your alpha and see if your young guys live together in peace

get rid of your young roosters

confine your young roosters to a bachelor pad where the alpha can't get to them

I'm not sure there's another option.
Ditto Dat^^^

I always keep multiple roosters, never had one killed another, part of the problem was that there were only two, which is the worst scenario. One on one will be that forever, more than two roosters and there's always someone else.

I would try what free feather said, lock the old guy up for a few weeks, your boys stand a chance at least because there are two of them and they'll stick together.

For your own peace and sanity I would ditto what they said. Separate the two youngsters or the old Rooster. With the older rooster getting up there you might consider leaving the young cockerels in with the hens and separate Dad with a couple of hens. I would also think carefully and have a plan for any future cockerels you might hatch. You could try giving them away or providing for your family (ie Freezer camp). Unfortunately there are far more roosters, then people who can provide them with good homes. Having them continually beat each other up is not good for the flock or for you. I would much rather process a rooster in one clean quick humane death then have them suffer by getting beat up and left dying slowly. I realize that not everyone is up to the task and I respect that completely but as chicken owners we have a responsibility to tend to all of the members of our flock whether that is ordering only pullets, processing roosters, separating them into bachelor pads, separate into trios (1 rooster, two hens), giving them away, or whatever plan so long as it is a plan. Good luck and I hope that your flock settles.

smile.png

Having them continually beat each other up is not good for the flock or for you.   I would much rather  process a rooster in one clean quick humane death then have them suffer by getting beat up and left dying slowly.   I realize that not everyone is up to the task and I respect that completely but as chicken owners we have a responsibility to tend to all of the members of our flock whether that is ordering only pullets,  processing roosters,  separating them into bachelor pads,  separate  into trios (1 rooster, two hens),  giving them away, or whatever plan so long as it is a plan.   Good luck and I hope that your flock settles.

:)

+1. Well said.

I'd cull them all personally, and replace with an unrelated rooster.

Roosters need to be somewhat aggressive with other roosters (and cockerels) to keep control of a flock, but roosters that regularly kill their competition/offspring make it extremely difficult to proactively manage genetics. That's just not a trait I will accept. His sons will likely be just as nasty as he is.

Back
Top Bottom