1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters sparring - body language?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LadyMaryChicken, Nov 2, 2013.

1. LadyMaryChicken

LadyMaryChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    I have two 7 month old roosters who get along surprisingly well, but today there was interesting interaction -- can anyone decode what happened?

Danny (2nd roo) challenged Bubbie (the head rooster) as he was trying to mate (pecked him on the head), and a standoff ensued. Danny's hackle feathers were flared and he began jumping around. Then he bent down very low -- almost like bowing down but with the hackles still flared. Bubbie's posture was slightly crouched and he just gave him The Stare. They stayed in this staredown (like a Western movie) for about 5 seconds. Then it was over and Bubbie did the rooster shuffle a couple times and then they both went their separate ways.

So what just happened here? Was Danny about to attack for real? Do you think they'll continue to get along or is this the prelude to cock fighting? So far, they have lived peacefully in the same coop and even snuggle together at night on the roost.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They are getting to the age where they are trying to figure out who will be the "top dog" so to speak. They will challenge, and possibly fight on occasion until dominance is established. One of them will be dominant over the other. The other may challenge from time to time, and may eventually become the dominant one himself. Will they continue to get along? That's anybody's guess. I've had multiple roosters in my flock. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I think since they've grown up together, there is more of a chance that they will, when they both learn their place in the flock. If your chickens free range, or have plenty of space, I think that also helps because then they will each have their own areas and possibly their own harems. At least that's how it worked out here. One rooster had his hens who went with him to one area and the other and his hens had their own place to go. We live on a farm, and they have plenty of room to roam, so they were only ever together when they were roosting at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by