Roosters to hens ratio

Probably none of you rooster wranglers jumped right in with multiple roosters right out of the gate, and if you did, I'm betting it wasn't a smooth and painless experience.
I did. I have had as many as 40% males in my small flock with minimal trouble, and that in a confined space (until our recent move). From the very beginning, which was last year. I just don’t understand all these horror stories about roosters. I never had problems with mine. I NEVER had only one rooster, and never will. Mine have always sorted out their minor conflicts reasonably, and none of my hens have reason to complain either. IMHO, people who only want one roo should have no more than 6 birds. Overworked, stressed out roosters go nuts and become violent (or so I have read). People who want to raise hens like they are living in a convent should have...nun.:tongue

However, the needs of the keeper are important too. I just hate exploitation, that’s all.

Last edited:
Everyone's situation is different and what works for one may not work so well for another as things are different. I breed for exhibition and I don't want to flock breed. I pick out which male I want with which females for the desired characteristics I'm looking for in a bird. My extra males get sold to help offset the feed costs. Males are protectors somewhat, but with the amount of chicks I hatch out every years I don't need 100+- males. I do what works best for me.

I think they are like African Cichlid's. If you have enough they are all distracted and nobody gets hurt. One place to hide or "own", and you will have only one left. If you have just two, you will end up with one.

Some of these answers are great, but do not take into account the fact that OP has limited space and experience. In my opinion, her ratio of hens to roos is likely to be problematic for her because of these factors - not because of what's natural for chickens. Her question was, will the hens be happy with this ratio? In my estimation, given her lack of expertise and limited space, probably not. If she were comfortable handling any problems that might arise, or even spotting such problems; IF she were set up with a bachelor pad, IF she were comfortable stepping into the middle of a rooster mash and separating a couple of fighting cocks before one got hurt without herself getting spurred or losing an eye - then sure, this could work. But I don't think she is. Hens' happiness aside, I question whether she is going to be happy with the arrangement. And no, I don't think she is. She needs a few years' experience handling one rooster. Then she can try multiples if she wishes, and her chances of success will be far greater. Probably none of you rooster wranglers jumped right in with multiple roosters right out of the gate, and if you did, I'm betting it wasn't a smooth and painless experience.
I started with 3 roosters when I bought my farm 5 months ago and within a couple of weeks, 2 hens hatched out 11 more. I had never had chickens before. It’s been a steep learning curve but nothing helps you gain experience then jumping in with both feet.

Just wanted to share my experience so far. Things went a little differently for me but I decided to keep my first 3 chickens that all turned out to be cockerels, in a Bachelor Flock. They free range during the day and are secured from dark to sunrise. I have 2 other flocks but the 3 flocks aren't ever without a separation fence. The 3 boys still run to check on them anytime they hear a concerning noise or see anything that concerns them, so I felt like this was the best scenario that I could handle. Well, 2 of the 3 boys flog me anytime they get the chance so I have taken their chance away by never giving them my back and carrying a pool noodle to keep my space clear. So there is another obstacle. Yesterday, while they were free ranging, the 2 that are middle and lowest ranked in their pecking order, had a really significant fight and the middle guy got beat up. I was hoping it was over after that but now, they seem to be fighting at least hourly with their lead guy intervening in attempts to keep the peace. I have been happy with this Bachelor Flock opportunity but it's been one obstacle after another, and that's not including anything my girls might need. I believe that my inexperience is to blame in part. In another one of my flocks of 3 cockerels and 6 pullets, my girls have been through hell with a silkie cockerel until one of the bigger girls put him in his place and made him calm down a bit, but I know it's not going to last. I'm going to have to separate them and I'm working on that. I say all of this to share my experience with keeping cockerels. After 7 months, I wish I'd rehomed all of the boys before putting so much into them and getting so attached. I believe it would have been a little easier to rehome a long time ago. I will say that I have 2, maybe 3, cockerels that I'd like to keep, but I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the situation. Out of 17 chickens, I have 6 cockerels. The two that keep fighting are at an age where they can be processed and their lives will be for something. I worry about them being used in an illegal manner if I rehome my bigger guys and after much thought and consideration, if it's necessary, I truly believe processing them will be far more humane. That is my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth (not much :gig) I am envious of the folks that have loving boys. My tiny guys are sweeties (to me) but I always keep 1 eye wide open when it comes to a cockerel.

I worry about them being used in an illegal manner if I rehome my bigger guys and after much thought and consideration, if it's necessary, I truly believe processing them will be far more humane
What breeds do you have?? Unless they were Aseels or Shamos or a similar breed I wouldn't worry about them being used for cockfighting.

What breeds do you have?? Unless they were Aseels or Shamos or a similar breed I wouldn't worry about them being used for cockfighting.

Definitely not anything like that. Two of them are Cream Legbar-Black Copper Marans crosses and the other is a Barred Rock. I figured they'd just use any cockerel/rooster, especially if they have shown aggression. Thank you for the clarification as I really had no idea. I always fear the worst

Back
Top Bottom