Roosters to hens ratio

Pics
I have a question about aprons. Y'all tell me if I should start a separate thread or if you can deal with it quickly here. So... an apron protects the hen's back from overbreeding, but it doesn't protect the vent, where the breeding actually takes place. Can't that suffer from overbreeding too? The apron may make the hen look better, by protecting her feathers, but does it really help her feel better?

I have a question about aprons. Y'all tell me if I should start a separate thread or if you can deal with it quickly here. So... an apron protects the hen's back from overbreeding, but it doesn't protect the vent, where the breeding actually takes place. Can't that suffer from overbreeding too? The apron may make the hen look better, by protecting her feathers, but does it really help her feel better?
Sometimes it's called a "saddle". Patterns are available.

I have a "main" rooster and then the other less dominant ones usually don't crow or crow less often or go near his designated ladies. They don't fight since the head honcho was there first and the others hatched into the flock and knew their place from the beginning. T
Ours is named (think Hispanic) "Marco Pollo"...the "Marked Chicken". ROTFL at self...
Next are 3 Dominiques, Rocky I, II, and III. Then three Welsumers Hanz, Franz, and Arnold. Two splash Americaunas or easter eggers (likely) are younger by 4 weeks and are not quite as assertive. One black one of some variety. Marco is cautious and clearly dominant, and took over from Rocky I at some point. Fascinating, Captain.

First of all: it is "All y'all".
Second: The actual act is more of a bumpity brush rather than as most land bound mammals do...
The way to tell if the rooster was successful is the hen will stand up, fluff up, shake up, and then look up....as if to say "Nuthin to see here fella..."

Sometimes it's called a "saddle". Patterns are available.

Thanks. I don't have this issue at the moment. SilverWings is a gentleman with his little flock of 8, and Littlejohn's 10 hens seem to be enough to keep him from wearing any of them out. SilverWings is 3 years old; Littlejohn is about 10 months so he's not as hormonal as he was even 4 months ago.

First of all: it is "All y'all".
Second: The actual act is more of a bumpity brush rather than as most land bound mammals do...
The way to tell if the rooster was successful is the hen will stand up, fluff up, shake up, and then look up....as if to say "Nuthin to see here fella..."

:lau:lau:lau First of all... I didn't expect ALL y'all to tell me what ONE of y'all could tell me...
And secondly, I've had chickens a total of about 20 years, so I can certainly tell when a rooster has completed his task! :gig:gig:gig But I've never heard it explained quite this way, so thanks for the edyoumication. :frow

Some of these answers are great, but do not take into account the fact that OP has limited space and experience. In my opinion, her ratio of hens to roos is likely to be problematic for her because of these factors - not because of what's natural for chickens. Her question was, will the hens be happy with this ratio? In my estimation, given her lack of expertise and limited space, probably not. If she were comfortable handling any problems that might arise, or even spotting such problems; IF she were set up with a bachelor pad, IF she were comfortable stepping into the middle of a rooster mash and separating a couple of fighting cocks before one got hurt without herself getting spurred or losing an eye - then sure, this could work. But I don't think she is. Hens' happiness aside, I question whether she is going to be happy with the arrangement. And no, I don't think she is. She needs a few years' experience handling one rooster. Then she can try multiples if she wishes, and her chances of success will be far greater. Probably none of you rooster wranglers jumped right in with multiple roosters right out of the gate, and if you did, I'm betting it wasn't a smooth and painless experience.
:goodpost: BEST answer!!!

Back
Top Bottom