roosters with other breeds if hens

biglittlefarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
If i have 4 diffrent breeds if chicks (reds,light bramas,silkys, and dominecker) and have a rooster iut of the 4. Will i be able to hatch a 4 breeds or will i need a rooster of every breed

if i understand your ?
here.
then YES your one rooster can breed with your 4 hens.
chickens are diploid animals.
and your rooster being male has two Z chromosomes
were as the 4 hens have one Z chromosome plus one W chromosome each.

so they can breed "yes"
now with this said your new eggs from these crossed lines will be F1 crosses with a mix of genes from each side.

A rooster does not care what breed or color the hen is. He will breed with any of them.

Both the rooster and hen contribute genes to the chick, so yes, the chick will inherit from both parents. What they actually look like depends on the hen and the rooster, but no, they will not be purebreds.

If you want pure breeds, you not only need to have a rooster from each breed, you will have to maintain separate flocks so the only rooster that can breed with the hen is the rooster you want to breed with her.

YES, they will for sure.
your new chicken will be mix of each sides set of genes. this is a F1
F1 = FIRST GENERATION from said cross of chicken
as ridgerunner said your rooster really does not care.
but the new line could be two different color types and body shapes/size as well.
and here is were all the fun begins for sure.

chickens are a species having a distinctive appearance in there own type.
they been developed by deliberate selection,color,shape,leg length and so on
your hens all look like chickens right, yet each one has had time and selection done to the line
with selective breeding for genes that make lets say light bramas.
this "Breed" has had the RECESSIVE TRAITS of white locked in to the line with selective breeding.
to express the traits we now know as a breed of chicken named light bramas.

i hope this has helped you some.

Last edited:
Yes it has. Thank you much. They are onky 2 weeks old so we have a while to go before we cross genes. Not sure if im ready to have seprate flicks. This is my first chicken excursion si we will see.

Yes it has. Thank you much. They are onky 2 weeks old so we have a while to go before we cross genes. Not sure if im ready to have seprate flicks. This is my first chicken excursion si we will see.
Your more then welcome biglittlefarm, just remember have fun and select for only the strong and cull the rest.
"cull"= kill and eat them. until you have what you are looking for in the final form.

i need some good quail to start working with my self.
i would like to log a 2 or 3 year project on coturnix in texas a&m x jumbo brown.
and keep all 3 lines.

Back
Top Bottom