Roosters

ShawnaLeigh

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I am new to chickens. I have 3 roosters. 2 are Buff Orphington which are with 18 hens and then I have a Rhode Island Red that is separated from the others that have 7 hens with him.
My question is, 3 of my hens with the RIR are Cochins and it looks like he is hurting them when he tries to mate with them. Should I separate him from the Cochins? The others with him are RIR as well.

Explain what you mean by 'it looks like he is hurting them when he tries to mate'. Is he flogging them or continually pecking at them ? Exactly what is he doing ?

Explain what you mean by 'it looks like he is hurting them when he tries to mate'. Is he flogging them or continually pecking at them ? Exactly what is he doing ?
Well, he holds them down and mounts them and they are almost flat to the ground and screaming the whole time. They are now hanging out in the coop most of the day now which I am assuming to get away from the rooster.

Well, if he is too big for the hens then I would separate them from the flock. And if not laying keep them separate until they start.

Welcome!
Are these young birds, or adults over one year of age? Are the hens/ pullets laying eggs?
Are there any actual injuries?
Mary
I bought them over the Labor Day weekend and they were about 3-4 days old. I bought the Rhode Island reds as well at the same time and a couple of the RIR are laying but they just started like this past week.

I bought them over the Labor Day weekend and they were about 3-4 days old. I bought the Rhode Island reds as well at the same time and a couple of the RIR are laying but they just started like this past week.
And the only injuries are the massive amount of feathers he pulls out when mounting and dismounting.

So your RIRs and other birds are about five months old, adolescents at best. The Cochin pullets will mature later than the RIRs, and true to form, aren't laying eggs yet. Your RIR cockerel is being a randy adolescent, with no adult roosters or hens to teach him manners, so he's busy being 'busy' with no corrections from an older bird.
You could separate him for a while, or forever, and these pullets will be a lot happier. Do you really need all three cockerels? Maybe combine all the pullets with the two (I hope!) polite boys, and move this guy on elsewhere.
Mary

If there are no injuries, and you have plans for him to stay, at least have plenty of space, and out of sight places for these harassed pullets to avoid him. And, extra feeders and waterers in different locations too.
Mary

So your RIRs and other birds are about five months old, adolescents at best. The Cochin pullets will mature later than the RIRs, and true to form, aren't laying eggs yet. Your RIR cockerel is being a randy adolescent, with no adult roosters or hens to teach him manners, so he's busy being 'busy' with no corrections from an older bird.
You could separate him for a while, or forever, and these pullets will be a lot happier. Do you really need all three cockerels? Maybe combine all the pullets with the two (I hope!) polite boys,

The other two roosters were raised together and have their moments against each other but get along well. I was told this RIR rooster was a pullet when I bought all of them but here I am. I will be getting rid of the RIR rooster then. He got into the pen with the other two roosters yesterday on accident on my part and he and one of the buff orphington roosters started fighting so my hope of integrating them was dashed. I didn’t want any roosters but got all 3 by mistake from Hatchery and TSC Thanks for all of your help on this.

Back
Top Bottom