Roosters?

wantsomechicks

Songster
6 Years
Sep 3, 2017
We will soon be starting over with new chicks at our new home and I want to incorporate roosters into our flock. I am completely new to roosters. I am a little afraid of them, but want to have one as my chickens will be free-ranging. I also like the idea of breeding a self-sustaining flock.

My plan was to order a mix of straight-run DP breeds, keeping the females, as well as the fastest growing, nicest male to stick around as rooster, while putting the others in the freezer.

Questions:
Will this plan work? What is the best age to dispatch the roosters if I want to avoid excessive crowing/fighting.. Do I need a separate pen for the roosters? (I was thinking of making them a separate pen that can be re-purposed for brooding chicks or growing out turkeys (would that work?)). I read somewhere that its better to buy cockerel chicks after the hens are a bit older. That way the hens can help socialize the rooster. Is that necessary? It would be easier for me to buy them all at once and brood them together, but I am willing to start the roosters later, if it results in a friendlier bird.

Any advice/insight would be welcomed. Thank you!!

For your breeds I think you should get red sex link females and a brown leghorn male, that way you will not get any extra males. In my opinion it is best to raise the hens and rooster together from chicks. I recommended a brown leghorn rooster because they are great, non aggressive, roosters.

For your breeds I think you should get red sex link females and a brown leghorn male, that way you will not get any extra males. In my opinion it is best to raise the hens and rooster together from chicks. I recommended a brown leghorn rooster because they are great, non aggressive, roosters.
Thanks for the reply! I am considering both those breeds, especially because we are moving to an area with a hot climate. I didn't know brown leghorns were usually nice roosters. I am interested in creating a DP flock though, so I'm wondering if I need a larger-bodied roo.

Some medium-large-ish breeds that may work for you I'd suggest is maybe Plymouth Rock since they're decently common? Orpingtons are a bit big for me personally and they may overheat a little easier cause they have more feathers but I don't own these so I can't say. Personally if I had to pick a locally obtainable bird for me (WA) I'd choose Barnevelder and/or Welsummer. Barnes get decently big, Welsummer get Big, my Welly hen I had was 9lb! Both of mine have laid regularly a large brown egg too! :D my Welsummer got hot during those few 95-101 summer days here but with shade, water, and some cold treats she was fine :)

Back
Top Bottom