ROOSTERS

Then there is no reason to keep him. There is reason to get rid of him. If he is human aggressive toward you he is also a danger to others, especially young kids that may not be able to fight him off. Young kids' eyes are at a level he could severely damage with his claws or especially his beak. He could injure you too.

There is no reason to keep him. You don't want hatching eggs, he is eating feed without laying eggs, the hens do not need him around to lay eggs. He is a financial burden and a physical risk. Many of us keep males without it being a problem but several of us are better off without a male around.

To me this is normal and natural, the way a flock should work. This does not mean he is upsetting the girls or disrupting the flock. But it sounds like he is upsetting you when he does that. Youi may not be a person that needs to have a rooster around anyway. There are plenty of people that feel that way, you are not alone.

But that doesn't matter, he is human aggressive. He needs to go.

What are your options? You can eat him or kill him and dispose of the body. Not sure where you are so I'm not sure what is available to you but standard options are to advertise him on the internet, in the USA that might mean Craigslist. Chat with the people at your feed store, they might know someone that will take him or allow you to put a notice on a bulletin board. You may be able to find your state or country thread on the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum and chat with your neighbors. You can start a thread in the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section of this forum, mentioning your location in the thread title so you attract the attention of the people you want to read your post.
Thank you so much! This is a really helpful reply. I came from the suburbs but now live in the country and I am surrounded by farms and farm stands. That is a great suggestion to check with our local farm store (Tractor Supply) and also with the farmers where I buy my veggies and meat. I really appreciate your time in responding and your great suggestions!

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. Some people almost seem to feel that if you accidently got a rooster, they need to keep him. You don't. Often times, people who love animals are uncomfortable with dispatching one. That is a normal response, but it is not normal to keep something that is not working out for you.

Advertise, contact your county extension agent, contact your local poultry club or a 4H club. If they don't want him, they may know someone who does. If someone offers to take him, he is their rooster, to do with according to their plans, do not ask any questions.

Mrs K
Mrs K you are spot on. Exactly how I am feeling. I feel bad for the rooster and think maybe I am not trying enough to tame him because sometimes he is absolutely fine. But thank you, this is very helpfu, especially your statement, "it is not normal to keep something that is not working out for you." Thank you for replying and for the suggestions.

Don’t hang on to him for too long. I think many of us have kept an aggressive rooster longer than we should have, hoping for the best. I’ve had chickens long enough that I no longer hesitate to get rid of a rooster that’s giving me grief. I keep chickens for eggs, meat and for the enjoyment of watching them. If I have to constantly be on guard when I’m doin chores, I don’t enjoy it, and I’m not going to put up with that. Don’t keep a human aggressive bird.
Thank you. This is great advice.

Back
Top Bottom