Roosters

Ichthyguy

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Elburn Illinois
I started raising chickens 5 years ago when I rescued a RIR rooster.

He has sired many clutches and 2 of his male offspring are part of my current flock of 38 chickens.

Henry (Alpha Rooster), and my original rooster was injured when he attacked my son. I isolated him from the flock to recover. The rooster did not move for 2 weeks, but miraculously had recovered after 40 days of isolation. We belive it was a hip injury. He has recovered, but I dont feel he is 100%.

I returned him to the flock and was immediately confronted by the other 2 roosters. (As expected)

My descicion was to isolate the other 2 roosters to an adjacent run and coop. I am hoping the old order would be restored by doing this. The flock accepted Henry minus his sons.

I attempted after 3 day to re-introduce the beta rooster and it turned into another squabble. The fights are pretty furious and both have caused bleeding to bothe roosters. I think the old beta rooster may now be the alfa?

Henry my original rooster does fine with all the hens. But wondering what my next move is? Weather is getting bad in Northern Il and I dont want to leave the other roosters seperated.

I hope this is enough info?

You will have to choose which rooster you want to keep in the flock. An older injured rooster will often be overthrown and than live on the outskirts of the flock if the area is big enough for him to get away.

I have kept roosters penned separately through the winter and they are fine as long as they can interact through the fence.

If the older rooster attacked your son it may be time to try new roosters. Some get along, some will fight to the death.

Thanks for the replies, all are very helpful.

I dont feel it will ever go back to the 3 roosters coexisting in the same flock.

Its hard to see your first rooster being dethroned. And I agree he will never regain his seat because of his injury and age.

Truth is, his offspring are very good roosters and are people friendly, respectable to the hens, and I should move forward with them...its hard to grasp this idea though.

its hard to grasp this idea though.
The hardest part of chickeneering is the subtrcation part of 'chicken math'.
My first rooster subtraction, I got lucky and the person who gave him to me wanted him back for a friend.
My second rooster subtraction had to be stew.
Have had to subtract many cockerels over the years, most went into the freezer.

Everyone likes some photos.

Henry, Hank, and BeeBeeCee

Attachments

• 2021-09-22 14.43.15.jpg
    2021-09-22 14.43.15.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2022-06-15 09.46.31.jpg
    2022-06-15 09.46.31.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2022-09-28 07.00.45.jpg
    2022-09-28 07.00.45.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 5
I do have a "retired" rooster who remains in the flock. It was an obvious dethroning when a stronger rooster who grew up under him was taken by a fox. Yes the loss of the stronger rooster because he had been doing the muscle work to keep my old flock master protected from young cockerals. There was scuffling between the old rooster and the younger stronger roos, but my old boy knew he couldn't compete and had a few weeks of having to show he was now submissive. My coop has clutter and roosts for hiding. Plenty of space to spread out by feeders and is free range during all daylight hours. My tolerance for chicken scuffles may be higher than others as I have seen that letting them work things out is better in the end. Also wanted to keep the old boy if we could as he is a favorite of my daughter. He is 8 years old now and has to give the dominant roos some space, and not do anything with the ladies that has not been approved. I am not aware of the other roosters fighting with him in over a year.

Back
Top Bottom