Roosters

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
I have several roosters, and I am having a hard time deciding which ones to keep. I have a beautiful EE roo that I was planning to keep, but he has started being pretty mean and has flogged me twice
sad.png
I was going to keep him and pick a second roo to keep, but now I think I better pick another roo to replace him. I have Buff Orp, Black A, and Partridge rock hens, and soon to join them are assorted colors of Plymouth Rock, 4 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 2 Ancona, and 2 EE pullets. The roosters that I have are- Columbian Wyandotte, Buff Orp, Barred Rock, and the EE roo. I don't care about having purebred chicks, I like the variety and surprises of crossbreeds, and since these are all dual-purposed/laying breeds, I can assume that their crossbreed offspring will be as well. So for the biggest variety of colors, which roosters would be best? Which 2 roosters would you keep if you were me, and why?

I would keep the Barred Rock and the Buff Orpington. The Barred Rock because I love the breed and the barring and the orpington for the size and color instead of the Wyandotte which is black and white like the BR.

Good Luck and get rid of that nasty roo. Once nasty always nasty.

I would keep the Barred Rock and the Buff Orpington. The Barred Rock because I love the breed and the barring and the orpington for the size and color instead of the Wyandotte which is black and white like the BR.

Good Luck and get rid of that nasty roo. Once nasty always nasty.

Woops I posted twice, SORRY

Last edited:
I second Adam's suggestion. My main flock roo is a Barred Rock and since I have lots more girls now and more to come, I am keeping his son, Zane, as "second-in-command". Hawkeye is the best mannered, calmest rooster you could imagine. My Blue Orpington rooster, Suede, although almost turkey-sized, is very mellow and non-aggressive to people.

Last edited:
Thanks all! The Buff Orp roo and the Columbian Wyandotte roo seems to have the best temperments, so I think I'll keep those to... but that barred rock sure is pretty. This is so hard!

Happyhens - I can tell you that I have always felt EE roos were a challenge. I got lucky with my boy I kept, but he is protective of his girls (just not aggressive to people, thank goodness). My other EE roo I got rid of was very nasty and attacked every chance he got whether the hens were around or not. He was just mean.

I have always had success with BO boys and even if they get a little testy at their juvie age (around 20 weeks), they can be tamed down and work well in a flock and family environment. I am sure there is an exception out there, but I have raised up lots of these boys and never found one I couldn't work with.

I can't help with the other breeds, but I know you'll do what you feel is right for you. Good luck in your choice. It is always tough to give them up after you raised them, especially when they're beautiful.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom