roosters.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by snaggs, Jan 6, 2013.

1. snaggs

snaggs New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Can a farm rooster be in the same pen as a bantam roosters I have two of them they also came with two farm hens.....

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Depends.....how many hens will you have with them??

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Depends on the number of chickens you have, the amount of room you have, and the temperaments of your roosters.

Ideally, you want no more than one rooster per 8-10 hens. Otherwise, you will have more fighting and your hens may get over-mated.

One of the biggest sources of stress in chickens is not enough room. You need lots of room so the less aggressive birds can get away from the more aggressive ones.

We have three roosters in the same pen with 50+ chickens. They do just fine most of the year, but will fight for dominance in the spring. And I've seen Silkie roosters boss large fowl roosters around. A lot of it will have to do with the temperaments of your birds. Dont' expect even the most laid-back of roosters to show zero aggression, though. There will be some fighting for pecking order no matter what you do. In the best case scenario, they will work it out and calm down in a day or so. Be prepared to intervene if you see blood.

To sum up:
    If you have enough hens for this many roosters, go for it.
    Keep a close eye on them, they will fight.
    Be ready to intervene if there's more than feather pulling. If you see blood, either wade into the middle or turn the hose on them.
    Make sure you have lots of room for the losers of the fight to get away.
    Some males will not be able to live with other males. If they don't calm down in a day or two, they may never be able to live together.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. snaggs

snaggs New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Just got six new chicks last week..try to put two of them in the coop my rooster went nuts kept picking at them ..the two other hens just didn't know what too do so I took them back in..what too do how old should they be before I take them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by