Roosters

mommy of two

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Hi, I am new to keeping chickens so I don't quite know how things work when they get older! If you have a rooster in your flock will you always have fertile eggs? Do you have to keep him separated from the flock at times? Any information about roosters in the flock would be appreciated ! Thanks!

As long as the rooster is fertile, there will be fertile eggs, though there might be the odd hen that won't submit to him.

If you notice that the feathers on the backs, wings or heads of the hens are becoming damaged, you might want to consider separating the rooster, getting more hens, or replacing the rooster with a gentler one.

Judging by your username, I assume you've got children at home. Roosters have been known to attack small children, and they can cause serious injuries. They can decide to attack adults too. If you're not planning to hatch eggs, I'd recommend that you skip the rooster for now. If you want one later, you should be able to find a well-behaved one that somebody else can't keep.

Yes I do have kids and I hate to say it but sometimes those boys need to be chased by a rooster!! ;) just kidding! Yeah I think we might wait then. We already have 10 chickens that are about a month old and dont have any room for new ones yet! Thanks for the advice

I have 3 kids and had 3 roosters til the other day...now I have 2 one big old white rock and a young barnyard bantam...so far so good where the kids are concerned...although the big roo did peck my youngest, but he was handfeeding him at the time...and these things happen

if u have a rooster doesn't mean u need to hatch eggs i have rooster i only hatch eggs because i sell chicks and i have some fancy birds i mostly hatch their eggs ... i have one rooster that will attacks kids or adults and thats if you are messing with his hens to much he will charge at you to leave and if u don't he will come up and kick you .. he is a mottled houdan but ya just because you have a rooster doesn't mean you have to hatch eggs mine are there just for decoration

Back
Top Bottom