Roosting bar configuration to reduce pecking?

HB72

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
Golden, CO
Hello All,

It's the winter doldrums here in CO and we have some pecking issues when the girls go to roost. We have two partridge Wyandotte's who are dominant and tend to peck the heck out of everyone when getting settled for the night. It is usually short lived but one of the Columbia wyandotte's willingly posts up next to them and just takes it. Her back feathers are taking a hit. I am using an anti pecking spray but wonder if I need to reconfigure the roosts?

This wasn't an issue until this winter. They have a large screened in run that is 8 x 16 and has lots of outside roosts, a dust bath etc. They don't seem to bother the one during the day at all. And they free range outside every afternoon that the weather is good, which is pretty often. Here is a photo of the coop inside, any suggestions for re-arrangement? In the back of the coop that is a window that opens in the summer and warmer months so not sure I can go up in that area, but could move the roosts to be across width wise instead of the way they are now. Behind the camera and to the left are other windows that open and we have vents all along the east side to the left and another large vent on the west side. Humidity in the coop never seems to get above 35 to 40%.

Am I overthinking it?!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.51.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.51.26 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 75
The highest ranking will perch on the highest perch. Put a perch above the others that will only hold two hens. It doesn't have to be real high, just a few inches.

The highest ranking will perch on the highest perch. Put a perch above the others that will only hold two hens. It doesn't have to be real high, just a few inches.
Above the others? I wouldn't do that, the ones below will get poop on them.
I see space there they can go but to be honest, they will just roost next to each other for warmth. Pecking order happens. Best you can do is maybe put on one of those rooster back protector things to protect the feathers ?

It worked! We raised the shorter right side by 3 inches and has made all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom