Roosting bar height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by woodsman23, Apr 15, 2012.

1. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    How high should the roosting bar be in the coop... also how high should the nesting boxes be, mine are on the wall assable from the outside.

2. andi6313

andi6313 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Georgia
    My nesting boxes are about 10" off the coop floor with a perch on the outside of the door so they can hop up and walk into the boxes. As far as the roosting bars, mine are graduated, starting a foot off the ground up to 5'. Most all of the time they will always go to the highest roost available, the ones below are just for them to hop up to get to the top. The top roost is next to the windows so I can see them sleep at night. They love looking out the windows to see whats going on outside.
    [​IMG]

3. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    My roost bars are about 18" and then about 2.5 feet off the floor. My nest boxes are about 6 inches off the floor and are also accessable from the outside of the hen house with a lift up roof.

4. NeTNChknLover

NeTNChknLover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    If you are going to have silkies it needs to be much much lower or a ramp of some sorts, silkies cant jump very much..unless your silkies are superheros like mine and roost with the best of them [​IMG]

5. andi6313

andi6313 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by