Roosting bar in coop

Rachelsmile79

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014

So this is the standard size roosting bar that came with my coop. It seems small to me and I ve read that many people do 2x4 in the coop. I need a roost to keep there feet warm in the winter since where I live can go -30 plus at times. How about a round roost? Thoughts?

Yes, that roost bar is totally inadequate. And a 'round' roost dowel is also totally inadequate. Chickens are not like parakeets/parrots that like to curl their feet around their roost. Chickens like to stand on their feet while roosting, and this also allows them to lay down onto their feet to keep them warm during the cold winter months.

Use a 2 x 4 laying "flat" only...your chickens will thank you!

Here's another tip for you as you live in snow country like I do, and our temps can get down to around -20 at times. Take an old towel and staple it around your roost bar for the winter months putting the staples on the underside of your 2 x 4. Helps to keep their feet warmer and you can just remove it when winter's over with...good luck!!
frow.gif

The hubby installed my flat roost today. I hope they like it. ( He still needs to take the old one out, we ran out of time today. )

Back
Top Bottom