Roosting bar in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rachelsmile79, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Rachelsmile79

Rachelsmile79 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

So this is the standard size roosting bar that came with my coop. It seems small to me and I ve read that many people do 2x4 in the coop. I need a roost to keep there feet warm in the winter since where I live can go -30 plus at times. How about a round roost? Thoughts?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, that roost bar is totally inadequate. And a 'round' roost dowel is also totally inadequate. Chickens are not like parakeets/parrots that like to curl their feet around their roost. Chickens like to stand on their feet while roosting, and this also allows them to lay down onto their feet to keep them warm during the cold winter months.

Use a 2 x 4 laying "flat" only...your chickens will thank you!

3. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Here's another tip for you as you live in snow country like I do, and our temps can get down to around -20 at times. Take an old towel and staple it around your roost bar for the winter months putting the staples on the underside of your 2 x 4. Helps to keep their feet warmer and you can just remove it when winter's over with...good luck!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Rachelsmile79

Rachelsmile79 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hubby installed my flat roost today. I hope they like it. ( He still needs to take the old one out, we ran out of time today. )

5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    So glad and I'm sure your girls will love you for it! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by