Roosting bar questions

ksewell1183

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Can you put a roosting bar in front of a window in the coop? The window has hardware cloth over it and can be closed from the outside if it is cold or windy. We put the window in because we live in Texas and are more worried about the hot summers than them being cold in the winter. We are kind of limited on other places to put it. We are new to chicken keeping and didn't really think through the coop design as well as we should have before we built it. Everything else is as it should be we just need to figure out the roosting bar situation!

WELCOME TO BYC!

There are a couple concerns I have with that idea. One is that even if it can close there could still be a potential draft. This can be bad in the winter. Also, although hardware cloth is strong, strong predators can still rip it and then easily climb into the coop.

Those are my concerns. I think if possible, just avoid putting the roosts there.

Can you put a roosting bar in front of a window in the coop? The window has hardware cloth over it and can be closed from the outside if it is cold or windy. We put the window in because we live in Texas and are more worried about the hot summers than them being cold in the winter. We are kind of limited on other places to put it. We are new to chicken keeping and didn't really think through the coop design as well as we should have before we built it. Everything else is as it should be we just need to figure out the roosting bar situation!
Hello ... I'm new to raising chickens also but have read you want to avoid cold drafts on the roost due to frostbite but in your case it may not be an issue especially if its south Texas. I have a few chicks and put up a roosting limb about 10 inches off the floor and they've taken to it alright... Let your chickens decide if they like it or not... Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Lots of folks have roosts in front of securely attached and properly size mesh covered windows...some chooks seem to actually like it.

My roosts go about a foot under some windows, past some solid wall in the corner then on along more in front of lower windows. They seem to gravitate towards the darker solid walled area, most roost under the higher window and can stand up to see out, sometimes they do roost in front of the lower windows too tho.

My windows are wide open during summer and closed during winter....I have lots of ventilation way up high to provide moist, ammonia laden air to escape without creating drafts on the roost area.

I have my roost pole located so that there is a window just as you describe at each end of the pole. The chickens seem to like being next to the windows; they gather in two groups and each group gets immediately adjacent to a window. They can see out and get any summer breeze that flows through the coop. In the winter, I will install clear plexiglass to block the wind.

Back
Top Bottom