Roosting bars

Michaelamarie

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
Klamath Falls, OR
I have (5) 12 week old chickens I originally had dowels and I was told to use 2x4 instead so this is what they are doing at night now…there’s 3 on the floor. The one on the top left is on a skinny maybe 1x1 shelve brace. Any suggestions? Or changes I should make? Or what’s going on here? Lol I’m a new chicken owner. Thanks!

Attachments

• C082B708-EA5D-4ED4-994E-CE9AFB370A69.jpeg
    C082B708-EA5D-4ED4-994E-CE9AFB370A69.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 29
Let them roost where they prefer. :thumbsup
There are no RULES, that they must be on the roost bars. The lower chick will outgrow that spot, and will not be able to fit in short time.
The reason the other chicken is up on her spot,,,,,,,,,,,, Chickens choose the highest point to roost possible. You may have to remove those shelf braces, or block them off,,,,, if you still don't want them there.
I see that your 2 x 4 are flat side up. There is a debate with roost 2x4 being flat or vertical. Personally I see as both will work.
My preference is a good size natural tree branch, 3 to 4 inch diameter, with no sharp knots protruding. My chicken coop has branches inside for roost. Chickens are able to grab the bark with their feet/nails, and sit comfortably.
Chickens have been here since dinosaur days, roosting in trees before 2x4 were invented.:old

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

They are trying to get up to the highest shelf bracket. I would remove them as coming down from those heights could cause leg/foot injuries.
Where is the ventilation in that coop?
Ok I will definitely remove them. We are working on putting in a window this was used as a shed so we converted it. Right now we leave the door to the run open at night.
They are trying to get up to the highest shelf bracket. I would remove them as coming down from those heights could cause leg/foot injuries.
Where is the ventilation in that coop?

Back
Top Bottom