Roosting bars..

Yes, on those cold nights last week my birds squished themselves into 2/3 of the normal space.
Mine go even further, and squish themselves into half their usual space!

8 chickens in both photos:

B1442DD4-B527-4E3A-B9BF-B0FF2FF07102.jpeg
4BA8555A-03ED-48C3-9473-F7DD86132610.jpeg

The more people you talk to the more different ideas you will get about roosts. Some people can feel pretty passionate about their opinions. And everyone can come up with studies or reasons why their way is best, whatever way that is. It's just something I find that people care about much more than the chickens do.

I'll link to where someone tried different roosts to see what the chickens preferred. Some people might find it interesting reading. This is only on what the chickens preferred, not what is best as far as supporting the feet while roosting. There are different studies that come to different conclusions on that.

Perch Experiment

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-perch-experiment.74272/

Some people want a flat roost, on the theory that the chickens will squat on their feet in freezing weather and protect against frostbite. What I see is that when they squat on the thinner roosts in cold weather their feet disappear in their feathers anyway. In Southern Florida that is not a concern for you at all. In my opinion as long as you don't get below -20 F (-30 C) that's not a big deal anyway, but that's my opinion. That's worth no more and no less than anyone else's opinion.

In my opinion roosts should be wood because of the heat conductive properties. Wood does not conduct heat well. In South Florida you are not worried about cold but it's possible too much heat could be a problem.

Chickens will roost on totally flat surfaces, like a shelf over 12" wide. I've seen them try to roost on a 3/4" wide piece of plywood on end. That's too thin, it's hard for them to stay balanced but that hen did. I kind of use the width of a 2x4 on edge as a minimum though I've seen them roost on tree branches thinner than that. as far as I'm concerned 2x4's are great, whether on edge or flat. If you use lumber I suggest you sand off the sharp edges whether they are flat or on edge. That's not because it is more comfortable for them to grasp but to remove the danger of splinters.

1-1/2" diameter or larger round wooden bars would work well as long as they are strong enough to not sag under the weight of the chickens. That's going to depend on the span. Tree limbs can work great too. My main roosts are tree limbs because they were available after an ice storm. I have a secondary roost with a 2x4 on edge because I had that available when I needed it and the way it was framed in on edge was easier.
when they squat on a round bar their toes are the most vulnerable, they are exposed, only the top of the feet get covered mostly. Where on a flat surface the whole foot and toes are covered. Flat perches are better in the winter months.

when they squat on a round bar their toes are the most vulnerable, they are exposed, only the top of the feet get covered mostly. Where on a flat surface the whole foot and toes are covered. Flat perches are better in the winter months.
That's not true. Maybe sounds like that in theory, but not quite the same in practice. Have you actually gone out there to look at their feet when they're roosting? I did a test, out of curiosity, and could not see any toes at all on any of my birds, and they are different body types with different degrees of fluffiness. No toes whatsoever. The feathers are fluffy enough that when they sit on their feet, the feathers cover everything.

P.S. You can see what I mean in my photos above. No toes anywhere. The smaller dark birds on the right are lightweight and smooth like pigeons, and yet no toes are visible on them either. The large ones are incredibly fluffy and even sag below the level of the branch, but even the small smooth ones are able to cover their toes fully.

Our roost pole broke and we replaced it with a flat board about 1' x 3", wide side up. They do not roost on the new roost! Are they still traumatized by the broken roost? The new one is about an inch closer to the roof, but there should be enough room.

Our roost pole broke and we replaced it with a flat board about 1' x 3", wide side up. They do not roost on the new roost! Are they still traumatized by the broken roost? The new one is about an inch closer to the roof, but there should be enough room.
Did you mean 1" x 3" ? As in 1 inch instead of 1 foot? Or is it 1 foot? If it's 1 foot wide, they may not see it as a roost, but as a platform. Chickens have an instinct to seek out roosts for sleeping - something that resembles a branch. So they may not want to sleep on something so wide (they'll soil their butt feathers if they sleep on a platform; they need their butts hanging off the edge so they can poop down on the floor below and not in their feathers). If you meant 1 inch thick and 3 inches wide, then that's too thin to use as a roost. Depending on how long it is and how many birds line up on it, they can snap it. Get something that's at least 2 inches in its smaller dimension. A piece of 2x4 works fine, or a thick branch that's at least 2" in diameter.

Did you mean 1" x 3" ? As in 1 inch instead of 1 foot? Or is it 1 foot? If it's 1 foot wide, they may not see it as a roost, but as a platform. Chickens have an instinct to seek out roosts for sleeping - something that resembles a branch. So they may not want to sleep on something so wide (they'll soil their butt feathers if they sleep on a platform; they need their butts hanging off the edge so they can poop down on the floor below and not in their feathers). If you meant 1 inch thick and 3 inches wide, then that's too thin to use as a roost. Depending on how long it is and how many birds line up on it, they can snap it. Get something that's at least 2 inches in its smaller dimension. A piece of 2x4 works fine, or a thick branch that's at least 2" in diameter.
I use 2x4 and they actually prefer that over the 2" round bar. 1x3 if its laid flat shouldnt be an issue depending on length, it may bow... But youd have to have some really fat overweight birds to break it even at 6' length.

Back
Top Bottom