Roosting bars..

I use 2x4 and they actually prefer that over the 2" round bar. 1x3 if its laid flat shouldnt be an issue depending on length, it may bow... But youd have to have some really fat overweight birds to break it even at 6' length.
I would not trust 1x3 at 6 feet long with chickens on it. It bows just being carried around before you even install it! Plus, this size board is usually sold as furring strips, which are made of low quality wood and aren’t meant to be durable. They have a lot of knots and imperfections in them and snap easily.

I would not trust 1x3 at 6 feet long with chickens on it. It bows just being carried around before you even install it! Plus, this size board is usually sold as furring strips, which are made of low quality wood and aren’t meant to be durable. They have a lot of knots and imperfections in them and snap easily.
#2 and fir strips are a whole other class... yes on the cheaper end of the scale for $3.50 IF you get the cabinet grade 1x3 which has no imperfections/knots....ect it will hold you suspended on saw horses. BUT I have never had a 1x3 fir or #2 board that bowed on its own and actually used them for canning shelves because they were cheaper, but I agree over time and weather condition they wont hold up well. The main concern is budget and can always upgrade later.

Just I would show my 11 chickens in there coop.
20221005_190327.jpg

20221005_190315.jpg

I have the cut above trash pine, like standard construction or something for 4.99. I wouldn't use these, but in short length which I already am and still they bend, what weights are your birds?
I was just out building the winter door for the coop and took some pics. Its is actually a 2x3 I am using that is 6 feet long and held all 12 of my hens. Cinnimon queen, leghorn, speckled sussex, Astrolorp, Plymouth rock, laced wyandotte, and Ameraucanas.
This time around I have 10 Ameraucanas and 2 Buff Orphingtons.

The 2x3 held up well in the old coop as well, no bowing.​

Back
Top Bottom