Roosting behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by put148, Feb 22, 2013.

1. put148

put148 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Currently we have 4 hens and a rooster all roughly about 20 weeks old. This past week when I go to lock the door to the coop in the evening the rooster has been sitting below the hens on the poop board, previously he has been up on the roost with them. I guess I'm just worried that he's is gonna get poo'd all over. In the morning when we go to let them out and freshen food and water they are already moving around and can't tell if he is getting up at night or not. He doesn't look messy but just seems like he should take his spot on the roost with them. What do you think?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Could be he is getting up at night. To find out you will either need a camera or go out there after they have roosted for a while. If he really is sleeping on the poop board, maybe he has become uncomfortable on the roost. Or perhaps it is just one of those unexplainable things they do.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I occasionally have dominiques with roosters especially inclined to roost below others where they sleep in poopy-rain. The poop does not seem to stick to feather must at all. I still want birds to roost up as general management practice to ensure they out of easy stupid predator reach (oppossums / my feet in dark) and easy to rapidly count during nightly lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by