Roosting in Run not Coop

Rosanna

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
PA
My five 19 week old chickens have been outside in their coop now for 3 and a half months and at dusk they always go in their coop and roost by themselves. Two weeks ago we added a roost in their run so that the girls can get a break from the maturing rooster and it gives them something else to do during the day. They were all still going into the coop to roost at dusk everynight like usual, but the past two nights they did not go in and we had to pick them up and set them in the coop. Which was a struggle since my rooster is crazy and he kept hurting the girls each time I would put another one in the coop. It would be nice to let them decide where to sleep and choose inside or outside but I only have hardware cloth on all the sides and top, not under the ground or run. Will they eventually learn to go in the coop on their own again like they did before? Thanks!

I would not worry about it. They will go in, when the rooster grows up, and flock gets the pecking order figured out. Cold weather makes flocks come together.

If you are worried about digging predators, just lay any wire fencing, and you can cut it so that you have about a 1 foot wide piece. Lay it on top of the ground around the perimeter of the coop/run. Hold it in place with either cement blocks, wood blocks, or weed fabric staples. Once the grass grows through it, it is pretty tight. I have even use a couple of old tires. Anything that holds it in place.

I have aggressive predators, and this has worked very well for me. Digging predators like to dig in a tight U shape pattern, the mesh prevents them digging next to the fence by hurting their feet.

Mrs K

I would not worry about it. They will go in, when the rooster grows up, and flock gets the pecking order figured out. Cold weather makes flocks come together.

If you are worried about digging predators, just lay any wire fencing, and you can cut it so that you have about a 1 foot wide piece. Lay it on top of the ground around the perimeter of the coop/run. Hold it in place with either cement blocks, wood blocks, or weed fabric staples. Once the grass grows through it, it is pretty tight. I have even use a couple of old tires. Anything that holds it in place.

I have aggressive predators, and this has worked very well for me. Digging predators like to dig in a tight U shape pattern, the mesh prevents them digging next to the fence by hurting their feet.

Mrs K

Thanks for the advice, this is helpful! It's just strange since they have been going in the coop on their own for a few months now, so hopefully they learn again. I'm definitely worried about digging predators, so maybe I'll do what you suggested if I decide to leave the run door open at night. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom