Roosting in run

Yes, I could do vinyl chicken netting from the 2x4s upward, but I wanted to try to find a less permanent solution because I think pretty soon they’ll be too heavy to make it up there. I couldnt find the kids pool noodles, so I tried slinkies. It looks like razor wire, but I swear there are no sharp edges!

Attachments

• 40C348DF-4271-4BEF-BA0D-1A84D4074DAA.jpeg
    40C348DF-4271-4BEF-BA0D-1A84D4074DAA.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 17
That actually looks like a great place for a chicken to roost.

So should I just leave her be and let her stay out there overnight? The run is predator proof (so far) but we have lots of raccoons and coyotes so I always worry. She's definitely safer in the coop. And pretty soon, it'll be cold, won't she need her buddies?

I wouldn't want them roosting up there.
Can't wait to hear if the slinky works...looks like it would.
Want to see rest of coop/run inside and out....looks nice!

So the slinky kind of worked -- but Rosie worked hard to find a little spot between two of the loops tonight. But I have re-configured her landing area and hopefully it is more successful tomorrow night.

And thanks! My other half is a builder and went a little overboard with such a fun project. Here is a full exterior pic and one with my coop cam (I know, I know....like I said, I'm a worrier and got a camera so I could watch them day AND night). I am re-configuring the interior to lower the roosts (so I can get rid of the step stool that most of them need to get to even the lowest roosts) and put more space between them and the ventilation near the gable.

coop.jpg interior coop.jpg

So the slinky kind of worked -- but Rosie worked hard to find a little spot between two of the loops tonight. But I have re-configured her landing area and hopefully it is more successful tomorrow night.

And thanks! My other half is a builder and went a little overboard with such a fun project. Here is a full exterior pic and one with my coop cam (I know, I know....like I said, I'm a worrier and got a camera so I could watch them day AND night). I am re-configuring the interior to lower the roosts (so I can get rid of the step stool that most of them need to get to even the lowest roosts) and put more space between them and the ventilation near the gable.

View attachment 1573022 View attachment 1573023
The enclosed run is fantastic, especially in your climate....but the coop is a bit tight.

That interior shot looks familiar, think we've hashed over the roost issues there?
Get rid of the higher roosts?
5 birds total(?) should fit on the 2 lower roosts.

So should I just leave her be and let her stay out there overnight? The run is predator proof (so far) but we have lots of raccoons and coyotes so I always worry. She's definitely safer in the coop. And pretty soon, it'll be cold, won't she need her buddies?
I guess I should have clarified. From a chickens point of view it's a nice place. You could try tacking fencing to the triangle so they can't get on the rafters. You are correct that they are better off inside, but it's too tight for all your birds unfortunately.

The interior coop is 4x8 with exterior nesting boxes. Feeder and waterer are outside. So, that should be OK for 8 chickens (per the rules), right? I have 6. The run is 8x12 and goes under the coop, so that's technically sufficient for about 9 birds.

And yes (good memory!), you are right, I have had a few interior coop issues, posted before, and removed one of the higher roosts. But tomorrow I am taking out the rest of the higher roosts and leaving just the two lower roosts. So that will be 8 feet of roost for 6 chickens. Both remaining roosts will be about 16-20 inches below the opening of the window (cracked 2 inches at the top), a 1x2 gable vent and 4 feet of ridge vent.

I personally don't like the square footage rules. They are mostly for production birds and what's considered humane. They don't often match up to what good for the chickens. You may have a lot more troubles as the smaller birds mature.

Back
Top Bottom