Roosting Issues

When we moved our ladies from the temporary chicken tractor to the chicken palace, we locked them inside for two full weeks. After all, I didn't spend all of that time and money building a giant predator deterring coop to have the chickies sleep in the trees!

Yes, I felt badly for them. And my husband laughed when I caught worms and bugs for them and took them fresh greens. But they now troop inside at night, and I know that they're a lot safer.

Lock them in for at the very least a few days, if not a week or two. They'll forgive you, I promise.

okay, I will try putting them up for a week 24/7. I hope that works, I imagine I should probably do that with my ducks too.

Chickens are creatures of habit, so they'll learn someday. You might lock them in there for a long time, and then feed them in there. Food is always a good thing!
D.gif

As we speak, they are in the barn locked up. I've been going out every couple of hours to cjeck on them. You know to RE-ASSURE myself!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Mine slept in the shed, and free ranged all day until their coop and run was built.
I got them into their new run, but half escaped and ran to the shed . The other half sat outside their new coop.
After 2 days of this, I arranged to be home before dark, and placed them all in the coop for the night.
I didn't have the heart to keep them locked up for a few days. I did leave them locked in the coop until around 4 the next afternoon.
Other than trying to wrange the 3 who insist on escaping the run each day, I've had no porblems with them going into their coop at night.
I know everyone here says to lock them up for a week, but you could try as I did. I fiured if it didnt work, I could always put them back in there and lock them up for longer.
I would be worried about predators, though. I've not seen any around here at all, but still wouldnt want to take a chance.

on my way to get some fencing to put up around barn so they can get out and enjoy sunshine. they all survived, and didn't get attacked for it either, except by Jack, my daughters rooster. and he always attacks me for some reason??

Quote:
Sheila, you need to teach that rooster who's in charge. Do a search for rooster-red's homepage for some advice on roosters. You can read my homepage too. The link to it is in my signature. Attacking roosters can do some serious harm. Best to put a stop to it now.

it took our girls just over a week of taking them off the porch and locking them in the henhouse to get the message. i think it was harder on us then them
big_smile.png

well, apparently they still like me, (even Jack) for they all came running to me this morning when i went to check on them.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom