Roosting outside the coop

KFC Chickens

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
Hello, my chickens this summer started roosting on top of the roof of their coop. Will they go back inside in the winter or is this a bad habit. I know its been hot. Worried they will get cold. Living in Georgia.

Hello, my chickens this summer started roosting on top of the roof of their coop. Will they go back inside in the winter or is this a bad habit. I know its been hot. Worried they will get cold. Living in Georgia.
The chickens I currently care for have in the past roosted outside the coop on a roost bar in the run. Not a major problem in the UK as it rarely drops below freezing. But, despite the old coop being pretty grim, they did usually go in when it got to 3C or below, led by their rooster.
So, that's one possibility. If youu have a rooster then it's likely the hens will roost where he does.
If you don't, then they may follow the lead hen. Assuming you have one and you know who she is, sometimes just moving her into the coop is enough to make the others follow.
IF the top of the coop is under wire/roof and the run it's in is secure I would let them make their own minds up.
If the coop roof isn't protected then I would certainly find a way to encourage them to use the coop.

Agreed, if it's safe and protected, then I don't have an issue with them sleeping outside of the coop. In terms of why this is happening, how many chickens do you have and how big is your coop? As opposed to simply wanting to stargaze, it may be related to a space issue that you may want to address to ensure when the weather gets cold, there aren't more problems that unfold.

Some yrs ago we had RIRs that free ranged and chose to roost high up in the hedges 8 to 10 feet high all year. The only time they roosted in the coop was rain and snow. Even in the dead of winter they preferred the hedge. No ill effects, like frost bite on their combs in a poor ventilated damp coop.

Back
Top Bottom