Roosting Pole Question!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ragerkid2, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    The coop is ALMOST to the point where the roosting pole needs to go in. First, how long should it be? I have two light Bahamas(kinda runty looking) and 8 golden sex links. Also how high should it be? I plan on putting the roost above the nesting boxes but on the same wall to save space. (the nesting boxs will come in a few weeks)
    Thanks! = ]
    ~Brandon

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Well I will try to avoid putting it on top of the nesting boxes to avoid making the nesting boxes nasty from chicken poo, Hight maybe 24" or you can make it as a lader.
    Long it depends on how big your coop is usually 10 chickens standing next to each other need about 6 to 7 ' length.

3. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I will have a poop board so they aren't all gross = ]

4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    If your going to put them above boxes you better put a poop board under it to keep boxes clean....... as for the roosts give them all the room you can I have 14 chickens and they all try to cram into 51 inches ( not enough) but I have 3 roosts at 51 in. long Ive seen it suggested on here about 10 in per bird depending on how big they are.

5. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Okay thanks! So for height it would be around 2 or 3 feet high?

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I did a lot of reserch and messuring and stressing about the roost...I ended up with 2 different roost 4' long each...for the first few days the silly birds roosted on the 15" shelf bracket I used to put the roost up! lol oh and 1 on a very little space up on a rafter!

Don't stress too much...your idea sounds good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by