Roosting Problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by avroncotton, Apr 15, 2007.

1. avroncotton

avroncotton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Victoria Australia
    I have a couple of birds that have stopped using the roost with the other birds and now perch all night in the dividers of the nesting boxes. Which means that every day the is poo in the nesting boxes. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Maybe there isnt enough roost room? Maybe try adding another roost for them. They might be lower on the pecking order..and was just pushed off the roost!

3. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    my new rooster won't go into the coop at all.... He sleeps outside in the pen on the ground. How can I get him into the coop? It is pouring down rain from the nor'easter and he looks rather silly sstanding really tall next to the tree to try and stay dry? (sigh)
    He has never been IN the coop... We initially let him into the pen (coop door is open) and he escaped twice, now back in the pen - unable to escape but he just will not stick his head inside the nice dry coop... I guess I *should* have opened his cage up to the door of the coop initially to force him in....
    Help?
    He is all alone, my hens haven't arrived yet. They should get here next week (I hope) But why won't he go in where it's nice and dry? I put his food bowl just inside the opening but no go...

Poor rooster got stuck with a couple total newbies in hubby and me.... :-(

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Awww, I feel sorry for the poor guy. If nothing else, could you prop something in the pen that he could get under to stay dry? Maybe once his hens arrive, he'll go into the coop with them.

5. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    Excellent idea! We will secure a tarp over one corner of the pen, and put a chunk of hay there for him to sit on.....

6. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Ive had to same problems at times with my chooks. More then enough roost space in my coop, but I get a few that insist on sleeping on top of them nest boxs. They are milk crates, so of course the poo falls into the nests <sigh> Anyway, I think its because Big Boy is a big pain in everyones fethered tails when night time comes.

Try moving the chooks onto the roost after dark, hopefully they will get the point.

Shannon

7. ozkelpie

ozkelpie New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    Nth Qld Australia
    I have new chickens 7 weeks old have raised from day old. how long before they will use the roost of a night. They use the roost in the day but still huddle together on the ground of a night.

8. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Take your roo, put him in the coop with plenty of food and water, and keep him there for 3 or 4 days. Then let him out during the day. Physically place him in the coop every night until he gets the idea - you can also lure him into the coop each night with food treats - best tip I ever got was to train the chickens to come running at the sound of a shake of a treat can.
    when you get the hens, they will also need to be shut into the coop for a couple of days before being let out so that they learn this is their home. If you let them out right away, it is harder to get them to learn to come in at night. Assuming you want them in at night - usually a good idea because of weather, predators, etc.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    When my young Buff Orp roo was here, he would lead the other 4 chickens inside every night. It was just something he did, I never had to train him. Well, he was a little too aggressive and had to go to a new home. Ever since he left I've had to go out and physically put my SLW roo and his 3 girls to bed at night, except during bad weather. In fact, I need to go do that now... [​IMG] ...be right back...

So, how do I make a man out of him and get him to lead the ladies to safety at night? [​IMG]

10. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    well, in 10 years of having chickens, I've never had a roo! And never had a problem with hens going in on their own - after keeping them confined in the coop for a couple of days, it would sometimes take a couple more days physically putting them in at night at most.

Once added a sole chicken to the flock who was pretty traumatized. Took a whole week with her to get her to go in on her own, but then, I wasn't able to lock her in the coop for the 3 days first, either.

Maybe someone with roos will help answer that question!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by