1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosting silkies and bantam cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rughooker, Aug 17, 2008.

1. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that bantam cochins don't like to roost very high. Some would rather lie under a bush at night. I have roosts in my coop,but the're kind of high. How high should I make them? The same question for silkies. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

For silkies and cochins, they'd probably be happy on a roost just one foot high, just something to perch on above the ground.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My Silkies dont roost. They huddle together and sleep in the corner. So silly! The like to sleep on the floor.

Now my Bantam Barred Cochin rooster on the otherhand, sleeps on a roost about 4 feet off the coop floor. he loves to roost.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Same here-My silkie could sleep 1ft off the ground but she sleeps on the floor. My cochins roost about 1-3ft off the ground.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

My silly cochins cry to me to lift them up to the 4 foot roost just so they can jump up to the 6 foot roost with the others! They LOVE the highest roosts.

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My silkies roost with the big girls and boys....on the 5ft high roost. Guess you just have to see whay your birds prefer.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have a ladder type roost and the cochins are usually at the top or close to it.They just climb up. And they climb down. They do not fly, thats for sure. And it will hurt their feet if they jump down. My two got bumblefoot from jumping two feet down.into the coop. So I suggest a one foot roost and then maybe some higher ones so they can climb. I think they feel safer up higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by