roosts, distance between them?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelsal, Sep 30, 2012.

1. michelsal

michelsal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm thinking my first and highest roost will be a foot from the front wall of my 3.5X3.5 ft coop.
    how far away must the next roost bar be so hens don't poop on other hens?

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think in a coop that size, you should only need one roost. How many birds are you planning for?

3. michelsal

Sep 25, 2012
    4 hens, the roost wouldn't be 4 ft long though, so am trying to find a way to get more room

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    With a coop of that size you'd only want one roost. It's also best to try and keep the roost at least 12' from a wall or ya'll have constant 'poop' running doing the wall to clean up.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't need 12" per chicken like many on here state. I have 9 hens and in their old coop I had three 3" roosts for them and 8 of them crammed themselves on the same 3' roost while the other one preferred the poop board. 6-8 inches per bird will do just fine.

6. michelsal

Sep 25, 2012
    wow! that is a cuddly group of chickens! thanks for the helpful info!

7. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I have 9 standard sized chickens, their highest roost is 4 feet long, I then have a lower level that they tend to use to hop up on the top one,,they do just fine,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by