roosts for winter

Ya I posted earlier in the fall wondering about the cold. I really am worried about the winter. But your posts have made me feel a bit more ready for the cold. I'm sure if they all survive I will be more confident for next winter :)

My coop is very similar to yours. If your winters are like ours (cold and dry), then condensation won't be an issue in that coop with only seven birds.
My chickens roost on both the upper and lower roost with no issues all winter long with no heat. Same wall/ceiling spacing as yours. Resist the urge to heat your coop.

Got your birds yet? I put my roosts 15" from the walls. Observe them on the roosts, and see how much space there is between tail feathers and wall. Do I see a light socket hanging above that roost? If so, that's a danger. Birds try to eat EVERYTHING that they can reach, and with a socket above a roost, they very well may be jumping up to taste it if they can't quite reach it.

One of my girls decided she needed to launch herself off a perch to get a strip of fly paper I had hanging in the coop. I discovered her dilemma when I went to put the girls to bed, and saw this poor white hen, dashing madly around the yard, trying to outrun something blue that was following closely behind her. I finally caught up with her to find that the entire strip of fly paper was wound over her back, around her butt, under her wings, with the blue cardboard tube trailing behind her. we had to soak it off with baby oil, and cut most of it out of her feathers.

Got your birds yet? I put my roosts 15" from the walls. Observe them on the roosts, and see how much space there is between tail feathers and wall. Do I see a light socket hanging above that roost? If so, that's a danger. Birds try to eat EVERYTHING that they can reach, and with a socket above a roost, they very well may be jumping up to taste it if they can't quite reach it.

One of my girls decided she needed to launch herself off a perch to get a strip of fly paper I had hanging in the coop. I discovered her dilemma when I went to put the girls to bed, and saw this poor white hen, dashing madly around the yard, trying to outrun something blue that was following closely behind her. I finally caught up with her to find that the entire strip of fly paper was wound over her back, around her butt, under her wings, with the blue cardboard tube trailing behind her. we had to soak it off with baby oil, and cut most of it out of her feathers.
m crying

That is hilarious! I am crying from laughter!

My chickens have been fine the last few winters with no heat at all. Just make sure you have a lot of ventilation - I'm sure the location of the roosts will be fine! I'm from Central BC we get to -37 celsius.

Yes I do have my birds, they were hatched in march. They haven't bothered with the light socket, but I'm having it removed soon since the light will be turned on more in the winter. I will look tonight at their tails. If they don't touch should they be ok? Also you asked about the metal walls, is there something I should worry about?

I have a fairly low hanging light that mine have never bothered with, but you could always try to get one of those plastic grill covers for it. I put a red LED light bulb in my light socket so it still provides light to see but doesn't disturb their sleep. I have muscovy ducks that usually always like to sleep outside but they move in and out of the coop throughout the night looking for spots to lay eggs, nosing through the chicken feeders and especially in the winter time looking for a place to warm up for a little bit.

Several places online sale heated roosts. My Pet Chicken has them on sale 40% off
Also horse.com. And Rural King
Karen

Hi, welcome to back yard chicken raising! I'm in Ontario as well and we insulated our garage door wall on the outside to prevent condensation. It easily comes off in the spring. As well, to create heat in the building that is minimally insulated we use straw. It creates a great amount of heat especially since they are making it into my compost. There is sand/dirt as well and mixed with their droppings makes wonderful compost! Despite the rain this year, which was phenomenal amounts I didn't have mold and I had great flowers (I have a huge flower garden and some raised veggie beds.) The chickens dust, scratch and bed in the piles of straw during the day and roost at night on separate roosting perches. I used 1/2 X 4's and 1 large tree limb and they almost all roost on the limb. I can tell if they all roosted well by the dropping in the morning. Anyway, welcome again and all the best with your "girls".

I was wondering how you tell which hen is not laying. Mine are molting and since I'm new, not sure which ones are fast and not so fast in moulting but its coming. But I know one of the girls is not laying as its been 3 weeks and I still get the same amount minus one each day. I'm not out there all the time but often enough most days. I think my "faker" is healthy enough if there is something I need to address...... :)

Back
Top Bottom