1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosts in front of windows

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DangerChickenHouse, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm still tweeking my coop before putting chickens in it.

If my roost runs across the coop and next to a window, will they still roost on it? Or is it scary to roost in front of an open window?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    My chickens roost next to a widow that has hardware cloth and a drop down shudder.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    All my coops have the roost in the windows!!! [​IMG]

4. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Quote:When mine first started going into the coop on their own they all made a roost out of the window sill, so apparently they love roosting next to the window. I had to discourage it though because the food bins were below and I didn't want them pooping on them! I thought about having roosts in front of the windows in the beginning when I was setting up the coop but was worried about drafts in the winter and wanted fans in the windows for the summer and didn't know if that would be too much air on them.
    So I compromised and put long windows in that go down to the floor so the chickens can sit in front of them if they want [​IMG]

5. mistakingdeer

mistakingdeer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I added a sunroom to my coop made from old windows. my broody hen moves her babies out of the nest into this area. 2nd time shes done this, once its dark i dont think it really matters and i can watch the little chicks

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Ours love the windows - not scary at all. They tuck their heads down when they sleep - or at least they are supposed to - ours are still learning [​IMG] In this picture, they all have their heads tucked down along the short side of the wall [​IMG]

I might have moved the roost up a bit higher, but they will grow into it.

[​IMG]

7. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks guys! This has been on my mind all day! I'm glad I can stick with my original plan!

8. SDChic

SDChic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    I'd love to see a picture of your coop's sunroom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by