Roosts-Installing a dropping shield

Chicnsrthebest

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Has anyone ever installed a dropping shield under their roosts to stop the droppings from falling to the floor directly below the top roost?
I'd like to use some of the space under it but I need something to direct the droppings closer to the front, lower roosts, and not directly under the top roost.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kreagerm

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
Maybe something like a stepped poop board. So you would have 2 levels one under each roost?

confused

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Vermilion, Alberta, Canada
My grandfather had an angled platform under his roosts that slopped toward the wall, which in his case was an outsde wall. On that wall was a lift-up trap door. He could raise it and do all the cleaning with a hoe from outside the building. He actually had a similar set-up for feeding his fattener pigs with the troughs built just below the traps.

Chicnsrthebest

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
The sloping towards the outside wall is a great idea, because it would easily direct it outside.

In my case, however, sloping toward the outside wall of the coop wouldn't work because it's a six inch insulated wall because of our winter climates. I love the idea for a summer coop, though.

I was thinking of the two-level setup. I hope someone has tried it and has some pics to show.
smile.png

Wyogirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Cody, WY
The sloping towards the outside wall is a great idea, because it would easily direct it outside.

In my case, however, sloping toward the outside wall of the coop wouldn't work because it's a six inch insulated wall because of our winter climates. I love the idea for a summer coop, though.

I was thinking of the two-level setup. I hope someone has tried it and has some pics to show.
smile.png
Pics would be great , as I need to re-do my roosts
Ayda

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom