1. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Are you sure? Look like they are the same width as the studs in the wall, which I'm assuming are 2x4s...??

They look small but its hard to tell unless comparing with a known sizable object... Still, look like 2x2 to me...

I could be wrong though ;)

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Treated vertical support appears to be a 4 x 4 which is best reference I could use in image. It appears nearly 4 time the size as the horizontal roost poles. A reference like a coin or ruler needed.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I bet the horizontals used are actually 1.5" x 1.5" and marketed as 2 x 2 common. If so, then they are roughly comparable to the 1 3/8" dowels I use or twice the size of my 1 x 2 common sticks used for individually confined birds housed in pasture pens.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Isn’t it interesting to see what we can disagree on? Hopefully Mahlzeit will come on and end this raging controversy. :gig

A rough cut 2x2 is 2” x 2”. A finished (planed) 2x2 is 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” and normally much straighter. Some of those rough cut 2x2’s can be pretty warped. A finished 2x4 is actually 1-1/2” x 3-1/2”.

Looking at the top photo where the “2x2’s” are sitting on top of the edge “2x4’s”, I’m pretty sure those are finished 2x2’s which are the same width of a 2x4 on edge. With that short span they should be plenty strong enough to support the weight of the chickens without excess deflection. If the span were longer you might need the stiffness of a 2x4 but that looks very effective to me.

The edges have been rounded too. I do the same on my 2x4 roost, not so much to make it more comfortable to the chickens but to get rid of potential splinters.

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Lol the 2x2 controversy.... :D

I've been deceived by a lot of edited, photo shopped, or odd angled photos lately, it seems :p

I have no clue about lumber besides picking out old peices that look kinda straight, since DH doesn't let ME have nice new boards ever lol... I'm lucky if mine are even 4" all the way down the board ha-ha!

I like that set up, though, with them all parallel on the horizontal... Mine being angled, there seems to be a disadvantage to the hens on the second roost, since it puts the top bar girls in prime head pecking position. :p

But it also keeps their nighly poo pile in a big heap all in one spot so its easy for me to just "scoop off the poop deck" ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Wow I didn't realize there was going to be such a stir over my roosts. Yes Ridgerunner they are finished 2x2's which technically is 1.5x1.5. They are the same size as the 2x4 they sit on which is of course not a true 2x4 either. These are brand new roosts in a brand new coop but I have used these as roosts for about 10 years now and the originals in my original coop are still holding strong not even any bow in them.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We are simply getting silly looking for too much drama that sometimes is not there.

8. Momma2bellas

Momma2bellas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2015
    Topeka, KS
    Holy moly, now I'm not sure which kind of roost I want. Do I want one like the normal slanted ones or like Mahlzeit. I only have 7 chickens, 2 Polish, 3 Silkies and 2 Pymouth Rock. Thinking I could make 2 sets of the horizontal ones and made into a corner so,they come out on the east and south walls at 2 different heights. Will post pictures when done.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    LOL[​IMG]
    HaHa...the debate continues. Can't decide which is most debated, roosts or poop boards. I too have 7, but I'm thinking about adding another separate bar next to my ladder roost, right now with cold weather I suppose it's cozy with them all on one rung (about 1ft per bird) they only use the lower rungs to get up to the top. They insist on all being together whether outside or inside (even when 1 is laying they all stand there and watch her like its entertainment [​IMG]). My BO cockerel is so big I really think in the summer he alone will need 2ft of roost space, the girls are also pretty big so in summer I think they will need to space out more too, if I can convince them. So...two sets of horizontal sounds good, love to see pics(of your girls too!), these always give me ideas.

10. KeMe

KeMe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    I worked several hours designing a beautiful corner roosts with 1 1/2" wooden closet rods. I made it at just the right angle for my 12 GLW girls to have plenty of room and not be able to peck each other on their heads and not poop on each other's backs.
    They don't like it! [​IMG]
    They like to snuggle in a corner like they did when they were chicks.

They have been laying eggs for about a month and they still won't get on the roosts at night. Sometimes, they like to sit on it during the day, but not at night.
    They aren't really pooping in the corner where they sleep.
    I suppose that if I'm getting 8 to 11 eggs a day, it really doesn't matter where they sleep. [​IMG]
    Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do other than spend the night with them and keep on putting them up on the roosts all night.
    (That's not going to happen.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by