roosts

computergal39

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
I would like to build new roosts for my flock
Do I use 2 x2 or 2x4 flat or round building material?
Is there a certain height they perfer?
Do you have pictures?

Quote:
I use a 2x4 myself, turned flat side up and the upper corners rounded off. Some folks use tree branches.
It seems they'll go as high as they can get. Folks have built roosts for their chickens and then find them up in the barn rafters.

Height-wise, that may depend in part on your breed. You want them to have enough room to safely flap down if necessary, so you should consider height in relation to run-out room if any. Especially if you have heavy-bodied birds. This may not be critical if you will have a ladder/ramp up to the roosts but it's something I still consider in case they should decide to bail out in rush.
You will want them at least higher than the nest boxes so they'll be encouraged to roost up there rather than in the nest box.

Check out the coop designs page for roost pics, very usefull.

we use thick tree branches/trunks for them to roost on since we had to remove a bunch of them when we built the coop. I don't think the birds have a preference... just the people

What ChickenbytheSea said. My birds seem to prefer being on the top perch, which is probably 4 feet off the floor, but they also do just fine on the lower one, which is at about 2 feet. Basically its a ladder design, I used 4 branches about 3 inches thick. A few nails, a bit of nylon clothesline, and they are very happy.

I use a 2x4 unrounded. They can set over their feet and keep them warm in winter to prevent frostbite. I use a low poop area and then the roost about 5 inches above it. I have some large hens I do not want to hurt themselves getting off the roost. Gloria jean

Quote:
With the poop board that close, do they step on it to get down? I am trying to figure out how far away to put the poop board. I'm guessing close enough so they don't try to roost on it but the way I'm picturing it in my head, they will step down to the poop board (since it will stick out about 12" both ways) and then jump down. I guess I should just make a really secure poop board just in case.

I'm new at this and sometimes learn by trial-and-error. Originally I used rounded 2X2 but the chickens outgrew them so I laminated another inch and they seem quite happy. So the width is 2.5". I may eventually use rounded 2X4. I also have a removable 2X6 close to the wire mesh over the droppings pit to give them a launching/landing zone. I'll post some pictures once I'm allowed to.

Quote:
Mine is probably about 8 inches below the roost ( I use a single roost ). I wanted it just high enough to be able to easily scrape the poop board clean without having to remove the roost pole.

Back
Top Bottom