Roosts???

sarahz

Hatching
12 Years
May 1, 2007
Right now, we have made a roost out of a garden trellis--the rods are not circular but square and about 1 in in 'diameter'---is this ok? Or do we need to construct something out of 2x4s? Our chicks are 5 wks old so we have a little time but they are starting to enjoy the roost a bit...
If we need to construct something new, what should it be? Any pics, please? Help!!!

Last edited:
All I did was prune some of our trees and used them as perches in their pen. Our 4-week-old chicks have been using a perch for over a week now outside in their pen I had cut a smaller branch, which was dried; they love jumping up and down from it.

Just make sure whatever you use is smooth and free from any splinters or sharp points (can cause bumblefoot, a staph infection).

Type of roosts depends on your preference. I prefer 2x4's with the flat side up so the birds can hunker down over their toes in the winters. Others use smaller boards, round dowels or tree branches. I wish I could find the source, but I have read that chickens don't curl their toes around roosts and perch like other birds, so anything round is usually a matter of balance.

popular saplings about 2 1/2 " at 3' 4' 6' and 7' and were do they roost in the rafters at 8'
barnie.gif
o well they showed me

We're using some nominal 1 x 3's attached to the wall with 2'x4 framing. The lowest level is at 18 inches and the next is at about 36 inches.

Already I've seen at least 6 different chicks make it from the floor to the bottom roost (some with the help of a step block) at 16 days of age.

They'll also be able to hop from the roost to the nest boxes, once we've got them finished.

This is a work in progress... our chicks are getting used to construction noise. As soon as we remember to buy the screen, we'll install the screen door.

Pics are in our blog.

Back
Top Bottom