Rosechooks - New to BackYard Chickens!

rosechooks

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm very new to chickens. This is my first year raising them, and even though I've already had some disappointments (Cooper's hawks, egg-binding), I still love raising my chooks. My grandma on the plains of Colorado always had a flock of chickens, and my sister-in-law in New Zealand and her mom have always raised them, plus my best "country gal" friend introduced me to her flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Right now, I just have seven hens - a little bit of everything as I'm figuring out which way I want to go with chooks - towards breeding, or just with a country flock.

(3) What breeds do you have? Currently, I have 2 Welsummer, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Buff Rock, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 New Hampshire Red, 1 Ameraucana -- all from McMurray Hatchery (all in good health, all beautifully fun to raise. These ones are all great layers and very friendly birds.)

Next, starting in May, I'm going to try out Erminette, Black Copper Maran, Flame Jaerhon, and Marraduna Basque, plus hopefully Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - if they have enough -- all from Sand Hill Preservation.

I'm really interested in the Erminette, after reading so much about it here, plus I'd like to get more Dominique chickens. The one Dominique I had last year was eaten by a Cooper's Hawk.

I've since created a new enclosed chook run since I had so many chooks get eaten by hawks. Before that run, I had my chickens free-range, but after I lost five to hawks, I decided the best course was to build a large run.

Is anyone out there interested in developing the Red Exchequer from the Erminettes? I read a long post here about Erminettes, but let me know more if you have that interest in the Red Exchequer. I can't find out anything about the Reds online except here on this site.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? By researching online for my current birds.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I teach, so during the year my "hobby" is helping teenagers learn how to communicate through writing, acting, and speaking, and to become more mature, better people. I also love theatre, reading, and gardening. After all of that, when I have time, I love to quilt too.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We have a lot of acres on the Kansas plains, so I'm fortunate to be able to create chook homes and runs that have a great deal of room for the chickens. The next run I make will have access to my vegetable garden, so they can use the garden to forage once my plants are established in late summer. We also have a lovable blonde standard poodle puppy, an aging golden retriever, and visits from our grown kids. It's a great life!

G’Day from down under rosechooks :frow Welcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom