Rosemary??

mrdevensmom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
Can chicken eat Rosemary?? My dh brought home some huge rosemary plants from a job I was thinking about giving the chickens so clipping to peck on.

Thanks

Leala

Well, I'm guessing it would make rosemary chicken easier to make.....I don't know, I really wouldn't think so since rosemary is related to pine trees (many parts are edible....how old am I?) and the parts are more sticker like and might glob up in their crops.....honestly I don't know but I'd love to hear a definitive answer so I'm blabbing to put your question back to the top.

I'm guessing it would make rosemary chicken easier to make

LOL when I did a search on it all I found was recipes I doubt the hen would like to be dinner tonight lol. I'm also wondered about the crop I wouldn't give them a lot of is. The pile of rosemary is as tall as me I would love to find a use for it.​

Regarding them eating pine, I can't keep my girls from eating the white pine needles in my yard. So far they've been digesting them just fine. I was worried initially last fall when they decided they couldn't live without pine needles, but so far so good

Mine love the needles from the white pines, but won't touch my rosemary bushes. There is a vitamin or mineral in the pine needles, I read once, that birds seem to need. I know my guineas used to eat them all the time, too.

When we built our run last fall, there was a rosemary bush in that location. Instead of digging it up, we built the run around it. The girls use it as a perch & dust bathe under it. They ate the little purple flowers. So far, they haven't eaten any of the rosemary bush. But it's getting pretty raggedy from the dust and 8 RIRs perching on it & digging around the roots.

Chickens-10-12-06-144-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom