Rose's DNA results.

LJoWilly

Songster
7 Years
Oct 28, 2016
Illinois
So been wanting to give Rose a partner, but wasn't for sure of her gender... well her results are in and Rose....is a female!! Yay!
Any recommendations for a rescue group? Located in Illinois! Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20200225_182252.jpg
    20200225_182252.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 26
I was just reading your other thread, and asked for an update. :frow
If you are keeping Rosie indoors, (as house pet) getting a partner may not be as IDEAL as you think. I will tag @Serin again, and he may provide more info about this. He took in a second rescue. When that happened, Olive, his pet pigeons' attitude changed dramatically. He did rehome the second rescue to a good home., and Olive returned back to same FRIENDLY way.:love
If you do want a second pigeon as company, I think having a large outdoor aviary would be preferred way to keep the 2 pigeons. JMO.

If you are keeping Rosie indoors, (as house pet) getting a partner may not be as IDEAL as you think. I will tag @Serin again, and he may provide more info about this. He took in a second rescue. When that happened, Olive, his pet pigeons' attitude changed dramatically. He did rehome the second rescue to a good home., and Olive returned back to same FRIENDLY way.:love
If you do want a second pigeon as company, I think having a large outdoor aviary would be preferred way to keep the 2 pigeons. JMO.
Agree! :)

Oh, I did know that?? I was just thinking that she would be happy with a companion. Hmmm.. I guess I will have to rethink the idea.
Thank you!

Oh, I did know that?? I was just thinking that she would be happy with a companion. Hmmm.. I guess I will have to rethink the idea.
Thank you!
Its a little more complicated than just a general understanding that pigeons are social/flock animals. Rose, as I understand it has lost part of one wing and has no primary flights on that side?? I assume she cannot fly, is that correct? Male pigeons can appear to be bossy with their mates, driving or herding them to the nest, chasing them here and there. Hens can fly away when it gets too tiresome but how would Rose like this if she couldn't escape? Does Rose seem happy now? If you do feel like she needs a companion I would suggest you get another hen. Two hens are much more likely to get along harmoniously.

Its a little more complicated than just a general understanding that pigeons are social/flock animals. Rose, as I understand it has lost part of one wing and has no primary flights on that side?? I assume she cannot fly, is that correct? Male pigeons can appear to be bossy with their mates, driving or herding them to the nest, chasing them here and there. Hens can fly away when it gets too tiresome but how would Rose like this if she couldn't escape? Does Rose seem happy now? If you do feel like she needs a companion I would suggest you get another hen. Two hens are much more likely to get along harmoniously.
Rose cannot fly long distance, but she can fly up to back of the chair. She tends to be more friendly towards my husband than she is to me. She will come to my husband and eat seeds from him, and sit next to him on his chair. She doesn't really care for me😔. Which is ok, I just want her to be happy. She's so much different than my chickens, who are so sociable.

Thank you!
I have a parrot, and others in the past. Getting a mate makes ther mate the center of attention and also brings out stronger wild behaviors, rather than tame ones. So this makes sense for your bird as well.

Back
Top Bottom