Rosie is scaring me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Jul 28, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have posted before that I don't pet or hold my chickens and have no desire whatsoever to have them sit in my lap, my shoulder, etc. I like to just throw them food and watch them and I'm happy. Well we have one pullet, Rosie, who seems to be more friendly than the others. DS can pet her. So when I go in there with food, they all come flocking around my feet but even after I've given it, she looks at me like she's going to jump at me. She looks at my hands and I show her that they're empty but she still gives that look. You know? Like she's just about to find out for herself. She looks at my legs (always bare-I wear shorts and rubber boots) like she's going to peck those too. If I crowd her she jumps at my boots. Not really in an aggressive way but a "oh you accidentally got your boots close to me so I'll just push them away" kind of way. I'm skeered. [​IMG]

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    sounds like she wants to have a friendlier relationship than you do.

3. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    maybe you should bite the bullet and give her some love'n

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a Rosemary that is like that - she's a New Hampshire Red - and she always gives me the eye. I make a point to stroke her back whenever I can to show her who's boss. LOL!

5. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Give her a little pet. You'd be surprised how they can tug at your heart.

6. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:I agree!!!!

[​IMG]

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I should. I am a germaphobe and have diagnosed anxiety. You can only imagine the stress I have with the chickens but I was determined not to make my kids go through life chickenless because of my issues. But I'll give it a try. [​IMG]

8. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Good for you!

I think you, the kids, and the chickens will all be the better for it. [​IMG]

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Good for you, not letting your phobia ruin your life, and cut short on fulfilling experiences.

I personally am deeply afraid of needles, and getting shots. Its so bad that I have to lie down to get blood taken, or I pass out stone cold. But every year I march my cowardly butt down to the vaccination center, and force myself to get the flu shot. It's an affirmation that my fears don't define or control me. That my higher brain can sock my stupid primitive brain in the jaw and tell it to shut up. Or something like that. [​IMG]

I would say that what you're doing is really good for you, exposing yourself to the chickens. Even going in the pen is probably a victory for you. You can just take it slow, and maybe someday put on some gloves so you can pet your little friendly hen. Who knows where it could lead.... maybe a year from now you'll be giving a bare-handed pat to your chickens every night like I do. They love being patted so much! It's very rewarding for everyone involved [​IMG]

10. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You know, since they are your chickens you get to control how clean they are. So, keep their pen extra clean and you'll know that your girls are okay for petting. I've seen some people put a little hand sanitizer thing outside their walk in runs and you could always do that too. All pets are dirty, but boy can kids be dirty little germ carries too. Ha ha. I commend you for trying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by