1. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It depends on the breed. What breed do you have? Many show no differences at all in patterns making them really difficult at times to tell until they are 3+ months old.

2. the dad is an aracona (green layer) roster, the mothers are a black star, 3 aracona hens, and not sure the last one (it came from a small brown egg) i think its either a golden laced wandolt, or a red star (could be a road island red but i think their eggs are bigger) but looks more like a aracona in its feather pattern.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Ok then there is a good chance the babies will have different patterns depending on sex. Mainly helping for someone to answer with experience in that. All the ones I've raised have been solid colors so if they do the same featherwise (start to get adult feathers like hackles and saddle feathers) it'll be around 4 months. If different, hopefully someone else will help out.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Did they start life looking a lot like chipmunks? If so, yes, there are distinct differences in patterning that a trained eye can often pick out once they have a good covering of feathers. But not without photos, of course.

5. bantamized

bantamized Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Georgia.usa
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by