Roswell, GA Man Fights for his Chickens..article link

The next court date is in May. Roswell put it's public humility on hold thinking the media and all the attention would go away. Let's not let that happen. In fact, they have a lot more media on the way. The Chicken Whisperer is going to be holding a live broadcast outside the station (location TBD) on Easter weekend. We have had chicks donated so that any Roswell resident can pick up two free chicks that Saturday!
lol.png
Others coming by can purchase the chicks for a small fee. What fun! Oh, by the way check out the email below I sent to the Councilmembers and other Roswell officials! I thought it was exactly to the point!
big_smile.png

Dear City Councilmen and women, Code Enforcement Officers, and Planning and Zoning Directors,

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Andrew Wordes had one month to prepare for this court case and did so properly, yet the city of Roswell needs to prepare for 2 more months???? That is fowl! The only thing Roswell needs to prepare for is how not to look totally stupid in the public's eyes. You may think that in 2 months we will all forget about how this case is wasting tax money and attacking a man not hurting anyone for raising a few well kept chickens!!! Well, we won't forget. We will continue to email all those involved with our requests to leave this man alone AND let people who want to raise a few chickens do so! We chicken owners flock together! Chickens Rule! By the way, your job is to serve the public and listen to their wants and needs. If you haven't read the comments from the Atlanta Journal Constitution's report on this case lately, you may want to. It is obvious what the people want. They want you to stop wasting tax money, leave this man and others alone, and start focusing your attention to the important things at hand! Chickens bother no one. They are quiet and productive! In an economy like this we all need to have chickens. I can't believe Roswell officials are acting as if they are in the right. No wonder you need 2 more months to prepare. You haven't even read your own laws. You know what's good for the public is good for the government as well! The public is told that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.... so what is yours?

Link to AJC: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2009/03/17/roswell_chicken_dispute.html#comments

Disheartened

I'm only a few hours away, and I have friends in Gainesville I need to visit... post the court date, and I'll be there to support our fellow chicken owner!
yippiechickie.gif

Just for information purposes... Georgia has designated poultry as NOT being livestock.

"Georgia Code 4-4-80.
As used in this part, the term:
(1) 'Dealer' or 'broker' means any person, firm, or corporation engaged in the business of buying live poultry of any kind for resale or in selling live poultry of any kind bought for the purpose of resale. Every agent acting for or on behalf of any dealer, broker, or poultry market operator is a dealer or broker, provided that any farmer acquiring poultry solely for the purpose of rearing and feeding such poultry as a part of his or her farm operations is not a 'dealer' or 'broker.'
(2) 'Person' means any person, firm, corporation, association, cooperative, or combination thereof.
(3) 'Poultry' means domestic fowl including, but not limited to, water fowl such as geese and ducks; birds which are bred for meat and egg production, exhibition, or competition; game birds such as pheasants, partridge, quail, and grouse, as well as guinea fowl, pigeons, doves, peafowl; and all other avian species. Such term shall not include ratites, which are considered to be livestock under the laws of this state.
(4) 'Poultry market operator' means any person engaged in the business of operating public auctions or sales of live poultry or of operating barns and yards for the containment of live poultry held for the purpose of auction or sale.
(5) 'Sales establishment' means any yard, barn, or other premises where live poultry is offered for sale, auction, or exchange. "

It also defines Livestock..
"4-6-1.
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) 'Bond' means a written instrument issued or executed by a bonding, surety, or insurance company licensed to do business in this state, guaranteeing that the person bonded shall faithfully fulfill the terms of the contract of purchases and guarantee the payment of the purchase price of all livestock purchased by him, made payable to the Commissioner for the benefit of persons sustaining loss resulting from the nonpayment of the purchase price or the failure to fulfill the terms of the contract of purchase.
(2) 'Cash' includes only currency, cashier´s checks, and money orders.
(3) 'Dealer' is synonymous with the term 'broker' and means any person, firm, or corporation, including a packer, engaged in the business of buying livestock of any kind for resale or in selling livestock of any kind bought for the purpose of resale or in buying livestock of any kind for slaughter. Every agent acting for or on behalf of any dealer, broker, or livestock market operator is a dealer or broker.
(A) Farmers acquiring livestock solely for the purpose of grazing and feeding as a part of their farm operations are not encompassed by the definition of 'dealer' or 'broker'; and
(B) Packers whose total annual purchases of livestock are less than $50,000.00 who buy only from licensed dealers and licensed sales establishments are not included in the definition of 'dealer' or 'broker.'
(4) 'Livestock' means cattle, swine, equines, sheep, ratites, and goats of all kinds and species.
(5) 'Livestock market operator' means any person, firm, or corporation engaged in the business of operating a sales establishment, public auctions or sales of livestock, or barns and yards for the containment of livestock held for the purpose of auction or sale.
(6) 'Person' means any person, firm, corporation, association, cooperative, or combination thereof.
(7) 'Sales establishment' means any yard, barn, or other premises where livestock is sold at auction. "

The city of Roswell does not permit livestock to be raised, but it did not define when or where poultry can be raised. I smell loophole.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom