Rotate eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JodyJo, Nov 10, 2015.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have the Hova Bator 1602N, I have 36 eggs in it, as of last night, 2 thermometers, one says 97, (its got a probe that I can move around, so I placed it beside the other one )the other says 100...question....do I rotate the outside eggs into the center to keep the temps equal throughout? I read this somewhere when you don't have a fan installed in the bator. I hatched out 5 last week, from 12 eggs....was hoping for better results this time...advice?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you have warm and cool spots then yes, you should change their positions as often as possible for a more uniform hatch.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If your incubator is a still air (without a fan) I'd recommend bumping the temperature up to 101, that helps a little with the cool spots in the 'bator. I rotate mine from outside to inside everyday.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    If it has a fan, there should be no hot and cold spots. I would see if your thermometers are correct. Moving the eggs around the incubator is a good idea to make up for the small fluctuations in temp in any incubator. If it is a still air, 100 degrees is way too low. 102 is the temp for still air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by