Rotate Your Coop w/Attached Run?

HokieBird

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Waxhaw NC
I have a large kennel run attached to my coop secured by bolts to the coop structure. The coop is a Horizon Structure 4X6 and the run is 6X10ft. I have added dirt, for dust baths, sand, DE and grass for my 8-12week old hens to enjoy their days in the run. They have done a nice job putting themselves back in the coop every night at dusk and have enough loose dirt for bathes and nesting/resting.
My question is, since the grass in the run is long gone, and I am just adding some each day to the run for them to eat, should I worry about moving the coop & run to a new area every so often or let it go?? The run stays relatively dry as it has a top on it and chickens seem happy. Does anyone with a similar set up rotate their coop & run or let it stay put in the yard and add what is needed to keep the chickens healthy and happy?

Thanks for your feedback!
HB

I think that's a great idea. If I had the setup to rotate, I definitely would. It's good pasture management, and good animal husbandry practice to let the land rest periodically.

No matter how often you move it they will try to eat down all the grass to bare dirt. Each time you rotate pens you would probably have to plant back the grass! Unless you do like some do with livestock and switch pastures before they damage it..... worth a try if you have the room...
My hubby fusses at me to keep the yard looking nice.. I use the kennel pens for runs and have a few shrubs for shade in them and I just give them grass clippings each day.
Also landscaped outside the fences to make them look better with our backyard landscaping... Evergreens and a couple large boulders we found in the woods....

I currently have 4 chick tractors which move about every 2 weeks. Mine free range outside the tractors all day, except days I am not home. So 2-3 weeks works for us on moving and allowing the grass to regrow. I don't reseed, and the grass usually has covered the area by the next move. In the winter, this isn't the case, but come spring, all those areas filled in pretty quick. Since I put my chickens on the burmuda grass, it has looked better than ever and I don't mind the temparory bare patches. Other grass may not grow back like burmuda, but that is the grass of choice down here in the south.

Back
Top Bottom