Rotating garden and chicken run

sformel

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 27, 2018
I'm retired now, I've more or less always kept chickens but have now implemented a long thought of plan. I'll explain it and then would like comments.
I am only a summer resident at my farm now that I am retired. Each Spring when I arrive to the farm, I rent 1st season pullets that are already laying. I think I invented chicken renting.
When the whole family lived here I kept a garden that was 80' x 40'. I now have divided that in half and keep the chickens in 1/2 and the garden in the other half. I surround both with electric net fencing. I normally have 10 hens. I feed them 1/2 of the recommended commercial feed and the rest they get from all of my vegetable cuttings, clippings and peelings, table scraps, and anything else that I used to throw in compost. Also bugs and worms of course. I have a movable coop with an open bottom that I change the location of within the run, frequently. The coop has roosts built in. There are no laying boxes, just a nest of straw and grass clippings on the ground inside the coop. I normally get 85-90% egg laying results. In otherwords, 10 hens in 10 days give me 85-90 eggs. My hens are my composters. No extra work involved in composting. They scratch up all of the weeds and the run becomes barren. They fertilize the area at no extra cost.They also turn up a lot of rocks in my gravely soil and that makes the rocks easier to pick out. This is all supposed to create a weed-free, seed-free area, well fertilized area for next years garden. In the Fall I return the chickens to their owner and till the chicken run and the garden under. In the Spring I till again and put the garden in last years run and the run in last years garden.
Folks I talked to were skeptical because the manure was not rotted or aged. My contention is that 10 hens in an area of 40x40 is lightly populated and by tilling it under in the fall it is not a problem. I've followed this procedure for 4 years now. The garden is terrific but the weeds seem to just laugh at the idea of a weed-free, seed-free garden. The eggs of course are great and the hens just love summer camp. Has anyone done anything similar to this and how did you make out?
Steve

Chicken poop should be fine after a while, which is the time that you have before the area is used for other plants, including grass. So your idea of composting the chicken poop in place for next year's garden area or plant area is fine.

How do you stop them from flying out over the top of the fence?
The electric netting is (I think) 40” high. When I first started using it the chickens would sometimes fly over, where they would then meet Mr.Fox. Now I clip their wings when I bring them home to summer camp. The clipping and their aversion to the electric netting after a few jousts with it apparently discourage them from flying over. Since I started clipping none have, you know, flown the coop. No top netting needed. Very pleased with the electric netting. A bit expensive but if you stay away from it with the weed wacker and the tiller it seems to last pretty well. My system of alternating seems to work so well but I am surprised not to find other folks doing this.

This is something I would love to have the time and space for. There is an article on a Monitor style coop build, where they have the coop in the middle and 2 gardens/runs, one on each side, to do exactly what you are doing. And from fall to spring is plenty of time for chicken poop to compost enough for the garden, especially with 10 in an area that big.

A lot of people do this. I've seen it a lot on youtube, Justin Rhodes is one of them.

I would too but I don't have the space to do it and it wouldn't work well with my small scale drip irrigation and raised beds so I just have the deep litter coop next to the garden and that works fine for me.

I have seen that story and the plan and operation is very well done. That operation is much more formal and better looking than mine is. One difference is that he is separately making compost whereas I just throw everything into the chicken run and let them do the work. If they don’t eat it and poop it, they scratch it into pieces so it rots faster.

The electric netting is (I think) 40” high. When I first started using it the chickens would sometimes fly over, where they would then meet Mr.Fox. Now I clip their wings when I bring them home to summer camp. The clipping and their aversion to the electric netting after a few jousts with it apparently discourage them from flying over. Since I started clipping none have, you know, flown the coop. No top netting needed. Very pleased with the electric netting. A bit expensive but if you stay away from it with the weed wacker and the tiller it seems to last pretty well. My system of alternating seems to work so well but I am surprised not to find other folks doing this.
It sounds awesome, I would love to do that but I have two veggie gardens and they are both planted to capacity. The cost of produce here in canada is expensive and I grow as much as I can myself and put all extras into the freezer for the winter. I was thinking of penning some chickens in the garden plots once the garden is done in the fall and letting them clean it out but I wasn't sure how to keep them contained without building a complete run for them. I will have to look into the electric netting method.

The electric netting comes in standard lengths. The ones I use are 164’ long which makes a 40’ square. I erect it and take it down every year. Takes an hour or 2 once you figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom