Rotating males from group to group?

Catphlynn

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
Hi,
I'm raising my quail indoors in an apartment, so the amount of breeding groups I can have is limited to two roos - I have two breeding cages, in different rooms, so that they're not competing over who has the nicest crow all day. šŸ¤«
In each room, I will also a second cage of just hens.

If I want to get fertile eggs from one of the hen-only cages, can I switch the roo between the hen groups? Say, once every month or two?
Is there any problems with doing this, such as a gap between introduction of the male & getting fertile eggs?
Are eggs still fertile for a time, after removing a male?

You can do that ā€Šbut...you may or may not run into arguments arising. The hens may accept the male or they may not and vice-versa.
Usually, if the hens accept the male and they mate, I would start incubating their eggs after about 2 weeks. A hen can retain the sperm packet for around 14 days, after the initial mating. Some may be shorter and other hens might store the packet longer but that's the general consensus.

You can do that ā€Šbut...you may or may not run into arguments arising. The hens may accept the male or they may not and vice-versa.
Usually, if the hens accept the male and they mate, I would start incubating their eggs after about 2 weeks. A hen can retain the sperm packet for around 14 days, after the initial mating. Some may be shorter and other hens might store the packet longer but that's the general consensus.
Thanks a ton, that helps a lot!
I'd certainly hate to cause any domestic disputes over moving birds around, so I'll give it a try when the time comes and keep an eye on it. Thanks again. :)

And just to share a cutie; one of my Grau fees.

Attachments

• 20220407_225551.jpg
    20220407_225551.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom