Rotating roosters

DAO6603

Chirping
May 20, 2023
I need advise from you wise chicken owners. My current set up is 3 coops with their own runs. Each one has 6 to 9 hens and a rooster. The hens are made up of 6 different breeds and each rooster is a different breed. Is it ok to rotate my roosters between coops? I'm thinking of every 2 months rotate the roosters so I get different combinations of fertilized eggs. Advise and opinions needed. My second thought is making a breeding coop so I can put specific hens with specific roosters. Is this feasible? The goal is to breed specific birds with specific traits.

I assume you know it takes 3-4 weeks for the prior cockbirds sperm to clear the hens before breeding to the new cockbird?

I assume you know it takes 3-4 weeks for the prior cockbirds sperm to clear the hens before breeding to the new cockbird?
It takes around 11 days in my experience. I'm sure laboratory gigasperm can make it 4 weeks but I doubt that's the norm in-field

Hens can also eject sperm from less desirable males. It's a complicated subject

It takes around 11 days in my experience. I'm sure laboratory gigasperm can make it 4 weeks but I doubt that's the norm in-field

Hens can also eject sperm from less desirable males. It's a complicated subject
Sure, but if a backyarder wants to be sure of their crosses, they'll wait 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom