Rotten Egg in Clutch - the rest ok?

Bdavis991

Hatching
Sep 7, 2019
We ordered eggs a few weeks ago and I put them under our broody Buff Orpington on August 13. It is now September 7 so she has been sitting on them for 26 days. One of the eggs broke and it was full of a black, rotten ooze.

Is there any chance that the rest of the eggs are still viable!?

:welcome If she has been setting on them for that long, there is little chance that they are viable. Did you candle them to check for development ? Any chance of buying day old chicks and fostering them to her ?

That is not a good thing, I would candle the eggs haven't' had any hatch out after day 25.

When you got the eggs did you let them rest for 24 hours then check their air cells before giving to the broody?

Location info would help too, I have some in incubator but I don't ship as not NPIP certified, I just give them as a blessing to others in the area that have a broody but no fertilized eggs to put under them

We are located in New Hampshire - I did let them rest for 24 hours but candling has been difficult. They seemed to be ok but this is my first time doing this. I did candle one of them a few days ago and it definitely had movement in it. I've been taking a hands off approach so I don't disrupt the Mama doing her thing.

Thinking about getting a couple chicks and popping them under her tomorrow night. I'm going to try and remove the rest and candle them this evening.

That is not a good thing, I would candle the eggs haven't' had any hatch out after day 25.

When you got the eggs did you let them rest for 24 hours then check their air cells before giving to the broody?

Location info would help too, I have some in incubator but I don't ship as not NPIP certified, I just give them as a blessing to others in the area that have a broody but no fertilized eggs to put under them

I'm going to head out at nap time to grab a few I think - I can put them under her tonight if the eggs I candle aren't viable and hold them if they are.

Feeling a little defeated but it happens! As long as Mama can live out her big dream of chicks then I suppose all is well.

:welcome If she has been setting on them for that long, there is little chance that they are viable. Did you candle them to check for development ? Any chance of buying day old chicks and fostering them to her ?

We are located in New Hampshire - I did let them rest for 24 hours but candling has been difficult. They seemed to be ok but this is my first time doing this. I did candle one of them a few days ago and it definitely had movement in it. I've been taking a hands off approach so I don't disrupt the Mama doing her thing.

Thinking about getting a couple chicks and popping them under her tomorrow night. I'm going to try and remove the rest and candle them this evening.
good luck with that. Was the hen on them almost constantly other than breaks to get up and eat, relieve herself and drink? sometimes our calculations are off, also not day one is day following when she stays on them not the day you set them.

She has been wonderfully diligent so far - only getting up once a day to eat, drink, and relieve herself.

good luck with that. Was the hen on them almost constantly other than breaks to get up and eat, relieve herself and drink? sometimes our calculations are off, also not day one is day following when she stays on them not the day you set them.

Back
Top Bottom