JonnieCakes

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
Hi! I’m incubating my first batch of eggs with 6 successful hatches so far. This just happened to one of the eggs. Can you advise me if it’s a rotten egg that needs to be thrown out? The membrane is still there but I want to catch it before it explodes if it is rotten. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9F2994A6-F5B1-4875-8DCF-66B813F9AEE3.jpeg
    9F2994A6-F5B1-4875-8DCF-66B813F9AEE3.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi! I’m incubating my first batch of eggs with 6 successful hatches so far. This just happened to one of the eggs. Can you advise me if it’s a rotten egg that needs to be thrown out? The membrane is still there but I want to catch it before it explodes if it is rotten. Thanks!
tell me the day pls

Did you crack it, or didnit crack on its own? If it busted on its own, highly likely yes, its a rotten egg and the decomp gasses expanded it. Get it out slowly. Smell it?
It cracked on its own. I did have one new hatch in the incubator drying out and moving around, but I don’t think it cracked the egg. I can see a lot of fluid through the membrane and there is a faint smell. I’ll toss it if it’s rotten!

Just an update that I removed the egg and it was definitely rotten. I was able to dispose of it before it exploded, but within the clear baggie I cracked it and there was thick yellow dark ooze. Just posting the results for anyone searching for answers in the future!

I bought some eggs for a new seller earlier this month. 2 of the 12 arrived broken. I put the others in the incubator and a week later noticed the stink. Found the bad egg. The next day the stink was back. I found another bad egg and removed it. And again two days later. All seemed fine this morning, no smell. But one of the eggs had come apart like a cheap tire, only messier.

So I'd say you were lucky you got it out in time. If you look at your picture, the long, clean cracks are indicitive of the egg splitting from internal pressure. If you get those at any point it's past time to pitch the egg, whether or not it smells bad. Pipping and unzipping both not only look much different but you'll hear the bird moving and chirping with them.

Now I'm going to go find the other six eggs from that batch and toss them. Because I'm pretty sure someone sold me hatching eggs she collected from her incubator, not her nesting boxes.

Last edited:
I bought some eggs for a new seller earlier this month. 2 of the 12 arrived broken. I put the others in the incubator and a week later noticed the stink. Found the bad egg. The next day the stink was back. I found another bad egg and removed it. And again two days later. All seemed fine this morning, no smell. But one of the eggs had come apart like a cheap tire, only messier.

So I'd say you were lucky you got it out in time. If you look at your picture, the long, clean cracks are indicitive of the egg splitting from internal pressure. If you get those at any point it's past time to pitch the egg, whether or not it smells bad. Pipping and unzipping both not only look much different but you'll hear the bird moving and chirping with them.

Now I'm going to go find the other six eggs from that batch and toss them. Because I'm pretty sure someone sold me hatching eggs she collected from her incubator, not her nesting boxes.
lol you better sue her ;):lau

I've had a couple of eggs go bad in the incubator and, from my experiences, the tip-off was the eggs appeared to be sweating. Little droplets of clear to amber liquid here and there on the surface. The first one popped because I didn't know what I was seeing, and it made The Worst Stench Ever.

Since then, I use a Ziploc sandwich bag to remove any fermenting eggs by gently slipping the baggie over the egg, rolling the egg into the baggie, zipping it closed and dropping it in the burn barrel. I feel like I'm defusing a bomb every time... carefully cut the blue wire... now gently close the case and, without jiggling it, carry it to the window and throw it into the river ten stories below...

Back
Top Bottom