Rottweiler Puppy Training with Rabbits

The way we trained our rescue dog to get used to chicks and chickens was to kind of establish dominance over who owns them. We took him into the pen after doing the look but no touch method for awhile. I held him by the collar because I was nervous. My dad had us both say in a very VERY firm voice “Buddie, these are MY chickens. Not yours” idk why but this worked. Right now we’re working with my eight month old puppy who likes to chase. He’s pretty responsive to the OLLIE STOP but he gets easily distracted. What you could do is hold the rabbit and do the mine not yours thing and any time she gets too feisty for your comfort just pop her on the nose just to break her focus on the rabbit.

The way we trained our rescue dog to get used to chicks and chickens was to kind of establish dominance over who owns them. We took him into the pen after doing the look but no touch method for awhile. I held him by the collar because I was nervous. My dad had us both say in a very VERY firm voice “Buddie, these are MY chickens. Not yours” idk why but this worked. Right now we’re working with my eight month old puppy who likes to chase. He’s pretty responsive to the OLLIE STOP but he gets easily distracted. What you could do is hold the rabbit and do the mine not yours thing and any time she gets too feisty for your comfort just pop her on the nose just to break her focus on the rabbit.
Yea makes sense. Also I could hold the rabbits in one arm and hold her toy and play with Nitro with the other hand

Dogs and rabbits can be a lethal (for the rabbit) combination. Not always but it appears that the little one has a high natural instinct to want to do what is natural for dogs. The only thing I can suggest is an underground electric fence that is placed around the rabbit area. Train the puppy to not go over a certain point in the yard - if he does, he will get a (very minor) shock that is unpleasant rather than painful. He will soon learn that it isn't a nice experience to go any further than his trained point. Unless you can put up a divider of sorts, electric fences are safe option. I worked in animal welfare for years and this type of fencing is a good alternative.

Improving!!!🥳
20201127_095248.jpg
20201127_095218.jpg

I gave her something to chew on. They're really good for puppies. I'll put the link for them on here in case anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X1A4UPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_JhsWFbBGKE4YY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom