Rouen Duck thread

I've always compared my rouens with my mallards and how when the mallard breeding season is over and te mallards start to turn brown so do the rouens. Or at least that's always when mine change.

Hello
I have a question that I will start with a story. I am fairly new to chicken and duck ownership (since Feb 2014). I made an order of 30 pullets and 3 roosters before my wife got up one morning after we visited a local farm. We had wanted chickens for several years before this but just hadn't done it so it wasn't completely impulsive. When I told her about the order she was good with it except she was concerned about the roosters. No one around us has chickens even though everyone has half to one acre or more. To keep peace with everyone, I called the hatchery back and exchanged the three roosters for a Rouen Duck. It was straight run but I was hoping for a girl. When they arrived, the duck got a lot of attention from all of us and we kept it with the chickens in the brooder. After a few days though, we decided to get another Rouen duck so that we wouldn't have just one if we needed to separate it from the chickens. I went to the feed store and ordered a female Rouen duck and "she" arrived about a week after we got the first one so they were very comparable in size in no time. Fast forward a few months and it turns out that both of them are beautiful green headed boys. They quack and carry and are very entertaining to watch especially just after they get fresh water in their pool. They dive under and pop up and flap their wings like they were 10 feet tall. They have been very well taken care of and have been fed very well. The space I built them was more than adequate for two ducks but not more. We were hoping for eggs but that obviously isn't going to happen. Since they aren't pets and they won't give us eggs and we don't have space to get more ducks to add females, we are going to try to find them a new home. I don't think we could eat them! What is the best way to find them a home? How can we know they are going to get a farm and a pond and some girls but not a Dutch Oven and gravy? How much do we ask for them? Again, they are 6 months old and beautiful...

Please help!

That's a really small property for That many chickens and expecially for ducks

Thank you for the replies... I think you have misunderstood some part of what I am asking. I am not asking about keeping them or advice on how to do that or advice on space. I am asking how much they should go for so that I can thin things down a bit. I know that I can ask someone if they will eat them or put them on their pond but they can lie. If they pay enough, they will be more likely to keep them but I don't want to ask so much that no one wants them. We obviously have considered the space requirements for our chickens and ducks and have built what we understood to be adequate spaces for them. We are even likely to expand our coops and runs a bit in the near future just to be certain that there is more than adequate space. The ducks just aren't a good fit for us now. We want to let the boy ducks go to someone that will appreciate them and raise them with a lot of care. Since I raised the ducks and like them, I don't think someone else would have the hang ups that I do about eating them.

Thank you for your thoughts on low demand and maybe $5 each - that was helpful. Its odd that the 6 month price is only $5 when a day old Rouen duckling costs over $9 at the feed store and $5.25 directly from the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom